Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a complete msd setup on the 68 (8361 distrib, 6AL, blaster 2)

getting fuel @ the carb
cranks and never starts
pull a plug, ground it and it sparks

I've tried flipping the distrib 180* and it doesn't seem to matter

something I might be overlooking?

I plan to go back through the wires
check the cap & rotor
ohm check the wires, coil and magnetic pickup

still using the external volt reg w/o the diode but since it hasn't started it hasn't been a problem, planned on swapping late model alt and doing away with the ext one

should I just try to find TDC and start from scratch with the dist install?

thanks as always!

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
Look in the MSD manual and it has a troubleshooting section in the back. It shows how to test the MSD box. Do the test and make sure you have spark and it is hooked up correctly. Also go to there website and they have a tech forum with a lot of answers. They also have troubleshooting and wiring diagrams too.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Fast,
I just installed the exact same set up the other day on my 69 except I use the 6A instead of the 6AL.

My car would not start at first so I bumped the starter until my timing mark on the crank balancer was at or very close to 0 degrees (TDC on number 1). I then checked the rotor to make sure I was close to the number 1 position and not 180 out.
It turned out that the distributor was set too far advanced in my case.

I turned the distributor to get the rotor close to the number one terminal on the cap and the car started up.

I ran my MSD ground to the factory ground strap on the firewall. I am still using the ground straps so it is almost like routing it directly to the block.

I dont know if this helps but it's worth a shot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts