Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd give my opinion on a new set of MSD plug wires, for those that might be considering these.
I didn't want red wires under my hood (looks like a circus) but MSD makes a black set as well.
These wires are about $80 and that's twice the cost of most but I thought I'd take a chance and see. Dealing with Amazon, you can always return them.

Super conductor wire set PN- 31373- for BBC- socket style for old school distributor caps with the female ports, 8.5 mm BLACK, with gray boots.
Lowest resistance at 40-50 ohms per foot. (allot of others are around 500 ohms)
High EMI suppression
Dual crimp terminals for a strong connection
The boots can be bent for header clearance and they stay bent.

The quality is excellent, assembled in Mexico. The clearance is great with the bendable boots. The bite on the spark plug is excellent. Overall, worth the extra money in quality. Not too much room left with the bigger boots on the distrib. cap, but they fit. They also give the plastic numbers for each wire that fit up near the cap as well. I have the wire looms and only had a problem with #7 and the steering shaft, as it was very close to the loom. I left that wire out of the loom. Here are there lengths
#1 and 2-39"
#3 and 4- 36"
#5- 29"
#6- 28"
#7- 27"
#8- 26"
I have a 6al box, blaster coil from 10 years back, and an MSD distributor. All are over 10 years old and perform beautifully. Never a problem.
Yes, all these MSD parts cost more than most, but from my backyard, they never miss a beat, ....................so far.
Boyd

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for the product eval. I have been looking for ways to decrease the EMI under the hood as I have the Holley Stealth Terminator EFI system. Have you found any other ways to reduce the EMI? I saw a video regarding EMI and the gist of it was move the battery to trunk and pay close attention to the quality of your ground.
I will definately purchase a set of MSD wires

·
14,264 Posts
My go to wire set is Taylor with Ceramic plug boots.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Thanks for the product eval. I have been looking for ways to decrease the EMI under the hood as I have the Holley Stealth Terminator EFI system. Have you found any other ways to reduce the EMI? I saw a video regarding EMI and the gist of it was move the battery to trunk and pay close attention to the quality of your ground.
I will definately purchase a set of MSD wires
Grounding in hugely important for reducing EMI. You must have a dedicated ground from the battery to the engine, engine to frame and battery to body.

I can't see how moving the battery to the trunk would help at all. In fact it might make it harder. You need to power the ECU directly to the battery and that is more difficult with a trunk mount. I have my battery in the trunk but that is for weight distribution for drag racing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the same set on my big block camaro, Doug's ceramic headers,the 5 cylinder plug boot lays on the header no matter how I try to retain it, the 7 has to be put on from underneath the car.
Think I'll switch the #5 to a 90° boot, other than that ,I like the way they fit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts