Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help with this. Some wires came off my coil. I have a msd 6al and a msd blaster 2 coil. I have a total of 8 wires to the coil. Distributor wire came off. There is also looks like a resistor mounted to side of coil bracket. That came off also. Also have 2 factory wires. Yellow and a raggy blackish wires. I think they spliced to white wire from msd harness. The msd harness has a red, orange, black, and white. Orange to positive. Black to neg. the red is connected by a plastic bridge on pos side and the white is connected to neg side with a plastic bridge. Like a splice point. Any of this make sense?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok. So the resistor thing is a condenser. Where does that connect? I also have one wire from the distributor. Where does that go? And finally my 2 factory wires. Where do they connect?

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
If you go to the MSD website you can download the installation instructions. But sounds like you wiring may be hacked.

·
Registered
217 Posts
On an MSD the BIG read and black wires go to the battery and are powered all the time. The white goes to the distributor, which if stock, would be black. The small red wire should go to a power source when the key is turned on, this is to turn the box on. The orange wire goes to the positive side of the coil. The black wire goes to the negative side of the coil. That should be all you need other than the tach wire hook up to the box. The yellow wire sounds like the original wire coming from the starter to give the system a boost of power when starting. It bypasses the resistor wire in the Start position. I usually hook the small red wire to the fuse box.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks dsl. Any idea where the condenser wire may go. Or do I even need it. What is it for?

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you are using the stock dist. You do not use the condenser at all. It can keep the ignition from working. The MSD puts out a small voltage on the white wire. For lack of a better explanation the points are a dry contact. I use old Mallory dual point dists. all the time. Only using one set of points and no condenser. I set stock points at .019 gap when open. Older MSD boxes will work but not as intended under 12 operating volts. I use them on all my cars now with the junk gas they sell. Some people do not like them, but I have seen REAL results from using them. Hope this helps. Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts