Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 Camaro that has worn mono-leaf springs on the rear.Do you need a kit to install a set of multi-leaf springs?

·
Registered
538 Posts
You may want to change the spring perches on the rearend itself so that the springs will ride nicely. I threw on factory type 5 leaf springs with the original "monoleaf" type perches on the original 10 bolt rearend and the ride was harsh, nor did I feel safe mentally about it either. Something about seeing that huge gap between the perches and the lift bars made you cringe. You could always go with a quality set of replacement monoleafs from Jegs or Summit. They have them listed in their suspension section and are reasonably priced.

·
11,269 Posts
geo, here is a set of spacers a buddy of mine made for my 69. I replaced worn out monos with 5 leaf multis. I used 4 u-bolts (2 per side) with the spacers between the perch and multi shock plates. You have to trim the edges of the upper spring rubber mount and cut the center nib to fit them into the mono perch, lower works as is. Worked fine, but I decided to go back the original monos, so they are available. Email me if interested. Kevin

There are inside supports to keep the tubes from crushing. They torque fine with out any crush.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well geo's68 In my opinion I would grind off the old mounts and weld on a set of universal. It took me all of three hours start to finish and I was pleased with the results and it made the springs safe in my opinion. See the below link for the type of mount I used.

http://www.secureperformanceorder.com/afcostore/getproduct.cfm?CategoryID=14&ClassID=180&SubclassID=862&ProductID=973

This link shows the new spring plates that I used to move my shocks inboard.

http://www.secureperformanceorder.com/afcostore/getproduct.cfm?CategoryID=14&ClassID=180&SubclassID=855&ProductID=1015

All in all I'm very pleased with them!

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts