Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is in my spring shop for replacement of the shackles, front eye bushings and spring pad isolators.

We discovered that the pads on the car are 1970 + correct and not '69.

As the car was a June build, does anybody know if there was a running change to the configuration?

I am assuming that in its past somebody's switched stuff out and I haven't yet uncovered the casting date code on the housing.

paul

·
10,160 Posts
Second gen pads have a larger hole in the spring plate so the pad will have a matching larger protrusion for the center bolt. I think they have a metal spacer ring that sets in the lower pad to take up the extra space. I've seen the housing slip on the leaf spring and shear off the rubber protrusion. Usually happens on the right hand side. For performance use, I prefer to run without the pads and add metal spacers if needed.

·
10,160 Posts
The stock shackle length is critical to stock spring performance. It's length and installed angle does a lot more than people realize. It provides a rising spring rate in compression for mono-leaf and multi-leaf springs. If you install longer shackles, the spring rate does not rise as fast as designed. If your springs sag, the shackle angle changes and the spring package delivers a stiffer rate. I'm not saying aftermarket shackles are no good, but they should be stock length hole to hole to work as the manufacturer intended.

Mono leaf springs only have a register welded to the bottom of the leaf and if not clamped tight enough the axle can slip forward on the leaf and tear the pads. The mono-leaf lower spring plates are thinner than a multi leaf plate and tend to bow when tightened so they are not capable of clamping the leaf spring very tight. They also can crack more easily, probably due to flexing. I prefer to use a spacer or thin lowering block on top of the leaf and let the leaf register fully engage the hole in the spring plate so the axle does not slip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts