Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel this is a dumb question, but I simply don't know the answer. I converted my 67 rear springs from mono to multi leafs about 10 years ago. The rear of the car sits way to high now with a huge gap between the rear tire and the fender. I got side tracked for 10 years and just recently got involved with the car again. I don't remember everything I did when mounting these new springs or even where I bought them, but they are 5 leaf springs and I used the stock 67 mono leaf lower shock plates. I did use U bolts to mount the differential to the springs instead of the T bolts and the rear shackles are new as well but they seem to be about the same as stock. I don't like how there is space between the upper and lower mounts on either side of the springs, is that a problem? The main question is how to get the ride height back down to a proper height? Can leafs simply be removed from the springs, or can the springs be "de-arched"? I will be running a pretty stock 350 SB engine in the car.

Thanks for any replies!

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Steve, go to the Camaro Tech Forum and check out nojoke900's thread on that same problem. There are a lot of suggestions in that thread on what you can do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the two quick replies, and I have gone and read the related thread under camaro tech. Since some indicate that the springs will settle after driving it I am considering using lowering blocks at first. But, it seems to me that this will make my lower plate even closer to the ground and may even require the use of shock extenders. I would also have to get longer u-bolts.

Funk, did the springs on your car seem to settle at all after having them de-arched?

-Steve

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I measured all 4 corners and the numbers are the same as last July. They haven't settled one bit.

I had my springs de-arched at a driveline shop here in ATL. The reason I went with a de-arch instead of lowering blocks is I didn't feel safe pushing the 3 leaf springs further out of the mono perch with lowering blocks.

You can see here that one leaf is already out of the perch, adding a block would push more of the spring out of the perch. Some say it is OK, but I didn't want to take the chance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funk, Thanks for going to the trouble of measuring and all. Seeing that I have NO extra money right now, I went for the approach that wouldn't cost me anything first. I removed the bottom two (shortest two) springs from the leaves and put them back on the car. It definately sits lower now and may be just the right height! I won't know for sure till I get the engine, tank, and interior back in the car though. I am curious to see how it drives this way.

·
Registered
99 Posts
What have you guys payed for de-arching? My springs are too high even with 2" lowering blocks since I took about 100 lbs off the car and I never cared much for using lowering blocks.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
824 Posts
I found this opposite of my car. My car definitely dropped the 2" that Hotchkis advertises. I replaced the mono with their 3 leaf springs and it was 2" lower. I also did not add the upper or lower pad. Just a thought, but if you added a pad on top of the springs it would move the rear end UP in the arch of the spring and should lower the car, right? It is worth a try, just move that pad from the bottom of the spring to the top (between the spring and the rear axle housing).

·
Gold Lifetime Member
824 Posts
You know what I may have it wrong. Putting a spacer in between the axle housing and rear end will move the rear end UP into the arc, thereby moving the wheel further UP in to the wheel well, which effectively lowers the car, right? Draw a picture of the wheel well, rear axle, and arched spring - move the axle up and down in the arc, and see what happens. To me the car will be lowered.

(___) vs. (_-_)

·
Registered
717 Posts
:beers:put some weight in your trunk. that will lower it and not cost you$$ except maybe a bit of gas.:beers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts