Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, I am currently compiling all of the parts necessary to swap my 1967 camaro to a 4-speed muncie, but was confused about what kind of Muncie I need to find. I am the 5th owner of my car and have not gotten too deep into it yet, this will be my biggest project yet seeing as though it is my daily driver currently, but what I do know is that is a 327 4 barrel with a powerglide. The block is blue that someone tried to hide by rattle-canning it orange so I am not sure if it is even a 327 although it does have the oil fill and alternator on the right side. I was wondering what input shaft spline I am going to need for the transmission or if there was a way for me to figure it out that did not involve me taking out my current transmission and just looking at that input shaft. I appreciate any help,

Sam

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Splines are on the clutch disc. Buy a clutch for the trans you get and put a pilot bushing in the back end of the crankshaft. The PG is not using a bushing there.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
You need the transmission before you know what spline clutch to get. You also need to know what size flywheel you are going to use to know how big of a diameter disk to get.its not as easy as you make it sound. Starter head may need to be changed, neutral safety switch, bellhousing , fork, pedals ,z bar, spring, A 327 would have came with a short waterpump, so the altinator would have been on the drivers side. The transmission does not care what engine it really is so that doesn't really matter. My advice is make a list of what you need in general before you swap. Even better find someone who is making the manual to auto swap, and buy a package deal.

·
Registered
515 Posts
If the car had a power glide originally, the rear end is probably a 2.92:1 or 3.08:1 at best. The 4 speed you will need should be a wide ratio (M20) with the 2.54 to 1 low gear. Don't use the M21 with the 2:20 to 1 low gear unless you plan on changing the rear gears to 3.55:1 or lower.
You should have a 153 tooth flex plate with the power glide. If you want to retain your existing starter nose, you will need a 153 tooth flywheel and 10.4" clutch (probably 10 spline) and pressure plate. The bell housing will be the small aluminum bell housing for the 153 tooth flywheel.
As Keith said, you will need the clutch and pedal linkage. The shifter will probably require you to cut a hole in the floor board tunnel too, as well as changing the plate in the console if you have a console.
I am guessing you will have $1200 to $1500 or more in the swap.
Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This was super helpful. I have a 10-spline clutch and flywheel on the way and a 10.4 inch flywheel. I will now be on the hunt for a 10 spline muncie input. I really appreciate all of the help.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Historically the first "Corporate Blue" Chevy appeared in 1976. The 307 (283 block, 327 crank) ended in 1973 and the 327 ended production in 1969. So if it is painted corporate blue; it is either a 305 or a 350.

Also historically in 1967 the Muncie used a ten spline input shaft. I would much rather have the bigger stronger 26 spline input shaft used up until 1972.

This site describes all of the itterations of the Muncie transmission:
https://www.5speeds.com/muncie2.htm

Big Dave

·
Premium Member
4,926 Posts
So if it is painted corporate blue; it is either a 305 or a 350.
Hey Dave, there was a rebuilder in Houston that painted their rebuilds blue. Could be anything.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Agreed I have seen motors painted every color in the paint chip book.

What I was addressing is the possibility of someone pulling a stock engine out of the bone yard, and repainting it orange because he didn't like the corporate blue color. IF so Then it can't be a 327. The intake and carb off of the original engine that was replaced on top of a 305 won't make it a 327 either.

Curious if it has a PCV in the valve cover or is totally sealed like a 1967 would be. If it is sealed, and it is a 1968 or later block, it won't have the air/oil separator in the intake valley to allow the motor to get rid of blow by.

Big Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The engine has chevrolet embossed valve covers with a pcv valve. Someone tried to paint the block orange but did a terrible job and you can see blue on the back of the heads and under the starter. I took the inspection cover off of the transmission today and found that it did have the smaller flywheel, just by comparing to an 11 in flywheel that I had. It has the oil filler in the middle of the intake manifold and alternator on drivers side, but who knows what it really is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts