Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an easy way to identify and differentiate M20/M21/M22 trannys from each other.

Heading to Carlisle in a few weeks and want to pick one up for my 68.

Also, what model would have been originally available on a 68 327/275HP car.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
601 Posts
which 1 do you want i got a m20-m21-m22 you got choice of regular gears or the italian gears. and input spline and output spline.price difference of what you want. http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml heres web sight for decoding also. im going to carlisle also ill ship to you or meet you there also. you save on shipping.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking M20 since I believe that is what the car would have came with originally. Where in NJ are you? What's the difference between regular vs italian gears? What input/output spline would I need to bolt it up to my 327 and my factory mono leaf 10 bolt rear?

·
Registered
601 Posts
regular gears are fine for street/strip but you racing all the time the italian gears you want there hardened and more expensive tho. you also got close ratio or wide ratio makes difference m20 wide, m21 close ,m22 close but with finer spline clutch and a 400 yolk heavier of all (aka rock crusher) im in central nj near 6 flags great adventure

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
email me some prices, this isn't going to be raced, so I don't need the italian gears.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Jason, just so you know if you are looking for a "correct" transmission for your car, it would not have been a muncie at all. The 327/275 would have used a saginaw 4 speed. They are much cheaper than the muncies but not nearly as good as. You really get what you pay for in this case. Not trying to knock Jag out of a sale but just wanted you to know. Good luck with your tranny. Kevin

·
Registered
601 Posts
no problem jus4funn68. i will sell them one day or another it doesnt matter to me. they just like cds one day it will mature lol. cheers

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jason, just so you know if you are looking for a "correct" transmission for your car, it would not have been a muncie at all. The 327/275 would have used a saginaw 4 speed. They are much cheaper than the muncies but not nearly as good as. You really get what you pay for in this case. Not trying to knock Jag out of a sale but just wanted you to know. Good luck with your tranny. Kevin
thanks for the info, the 4 speed swap is going to be next years project, I just want to get this damn car of the road, 2 speeds or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts