Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I had my Muncie out for some Clutch work, I decided to replace the gaskets in my tranny and basically just take a good look in there to make sure that everything is all right. When I took the front bearing retainer off, I noticed that the bearing did not fit tight in the case at all. I can rotate the bearing (the outer race, not the inner) freely and I think that it has been rotating during operation. Should the bearing fit like this? Does the bearing retainer hold everything in place, or is my case just shot?

·
Registered
579 Posts
The bearing retainer holds it in place,
Try pushing the race up and down, left to right, if you can see movement, and a gap between to outer race and the case then yes it sounds like the bearing rotated and the case is toast.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I can get side to side movement. I figured the case was gone. I don't suppose that there is anything that can be done to correct this?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yes replace it.
http://www.gearzone.net/case.html

The case is the weak part of the muncie series trans. By using a super case and a cast iron mid plate you can prevenent premature failure of your good tranny.

Just for information purposes you can get a new super case, a NEW set of M-20 gears cut on the M-22 angle and an iron mid plate for about $900.00 That and your "parts" m-20 and a gasket set you can have a bullet prof ( well almost ) set up . $900 seem like a bunck of money? What would it cost to build up a rear or slap on a set of aluminum heads?

If you can build a motor you can build a muncie with only one special tool, a thin wrench for the front retaining nut.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Or, it you want to rebuild I have a M-20 case leftover from when I had an Autogear M-22 built.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,Autogear M22,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rick, you have mail.

------------------
69 Camaro
400 Small Block
Trick Flow Heads
Comp 282S solid cam
Performer RPM intake
750 CFM Holley
and a Muncie four speed
Pics of My Car

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just picked up a new used case. The difference is amazing. The front bearing fits like it should now.

It looks like someone dipped my old case in acid or went crazy with a sand blaster because it looks like the hole that the front bearing fits in was eaten away, not worn away. This thing should finally be right now.

------------------
69 Camaro
400 Small Block
Trick Flow Heads
Comp 282S solid cam
Performer RPM intake
750 CFM Holley
and a Muncie four speed
Pics of My Car

1 - 7 of 7 Posts