Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the Muncie M-21 from my 1967 Camaro in order to replace the clutch. While it's out of the car I want to change the tranny oil. I've read on various posts that the gear oil should be 80W GL-4 (specifically NOT GL-5) and that it takes 1-1/2 quarts. I purchased some Sta Lub 80W GL-4, GL-3 gear lube at NAPA.

I'm ready to do the deed now, I just wanted some confirmation my research was correct. Also, is there a particular way to check the level or do you just pour the old oil out of the side plug (my circa 1965 M-21 has no drain plug) and refill with a measured amount?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The Sta-Lube was actually 85W90 but that should be fine. When I poured out the old oil (very black) it looked like only about 1 qt. max came out. I hope there wasn't any damage, it always shifted fine. It seems my clutch failure (cracked pressure plate) may have forced me to do some needed tranny maintenance I know I wouldn't have done otherwise. I'm not a mechanic but it's fun to do these jobs and learn about the car.

·
Super Moderator
32,358 Posts
Wait until the trans is in the car before filling, unless you have a spare yoke or cap for the output shaft to avoid spilling oil everywhere.

We used to run a fill tube through the shifter boot and fill from inside the car since the shifter boot is loose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip Everett. How coincidental, I checked out your photos and noticed we have similar taste in cars. My M3 is silver.

·
Super Moderator
32,358 Posts
Thanks for lookin' Not many people care for this taste, I certainly do enjoy the flavor.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Its better to fill the muncie with oil when in the car as the car/tranny need to be on level ground when you do this. takes not much more than a quart. The 85-90 GL4 is fine.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Wait until the trans is in the car before filling, unless you have a spare yoke or cap for the output shaft to avoid spilling oil everywhere.

We used to run a fill tube through the shifter boot and fill from inside the car since the shifter boot is loose.
I couldn't make myself do this near my houndstooth seats!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've found it to be much easier if I have the transmission out already to add add new oil prior to installation. I just fill the transmission while it is in a level position on the bench. A few dollar drive shaft stopper needs to be used to keep the oil from leaking out. Using the stopper I've had no problems when installing the transmission while laying on my back. As a final check I inspect the fluid level after the transmission is installed and the vehicle is level. With the drain bolt finger tight I can reach under to remove for a moment to ensure the fluid is dribbling out, indicating the fluid level is at the lower portion of the drain hole.
ColoradoZ28

·
Registered
117 Posts
Advance auto parts sells a gal. jug pump that works well. I got mine a few years ago for 5$.Probably more now. You take the lid off the gal. jug and srew on the pump and pump away. Works great.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I got one! After work I went and picked one up and it was still only $5 bucks. I wish I had gotten this sooner I spilled about $5 worth of oil trying to get it in there last time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just FYI -- NAPA has a $5 plastic pump that's meant to be used with the quart squeeze bottles. Screws right on and sucks it dry. My M21 took just a hair over a quart. One quart would have been fine. Now I'm stuck with an open quart short about a teaspoon.

·
Registered
426 Posts
What's the best way to drain the old lube out of a M-21 Muncie? No drain plug, anybody got a home made remedy, short of removing the shifter, removing the front 4 bolts and rotating the transmission 90 degrees?

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts