Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try a company named Musclecar Brakes ?? They claim to have a 31lb spring upgrade and wheel cylinder kit for Muscle cars which accounts for 2 to 1 braking over stock. The kit also includes the shoes. Snake oil ???

http://musclecarbrakes.com/bib6772camaro.html

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I take it as drum brakes only, not seeing much about disc which most are converting to.
Yes Drum only. I have to be honest, I have not noticed a major improvement in braking with the rear disc conversion. Maybe I was expecting too much IDK. So... no conversion on the convertible.

·
Premium Member
‘67 RS
579 Posts
I looked into it a little when I was redoing my drum/drum brakes a few years ago and concluded that without seeing any numbers to back it up, I wasn't going to spend the money. High volume wheel cylinders, heavy springs, ceramic shoes seems like you could do these with off the shelf parts at less cost. Not sure what 2 to 1 better braking over OEM means. Stopping in half the distance? At what speed? I'm not being critical as I've never tried them but it doesn't seem like there's anything backing the claims. I'm a data guy...show me the data.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I dont get the 2-1 claim either. The springs in a drum brake system bring the shoes back in, away from the drum. Increasing those spring rates would not increase the effectiveness of the stopping power, but it would increase pedal tension. The kit you linked to includes ceramic shoes. Ceramic shoes can handle more heat but in my experience often squeak. I dont see the value in this particular kit.

More than half of your braking is done with your front brakes, that's why it's worthwhile to install front discs. If you troll craigslist, you could probably find an oem set that someone removed to install a big brake system.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont get the 2-1 claim either. The springs in a drum brake system bring the shoes back in, away from the drum. Increasing those spring rates would not increase the effectiveness of the stopping power, but it would increase pedal tension. The kit you linked to includes ceramic shoes. Ceramic shoes can handle more heat but in my experience often squeak. I dont see the value in this particular kit.

More than half of your braking is done with your front brakes, that's why it's worthwhile to install front discs. If you troll craigslist, you could probably find an oem set that someone removed to install a big brake system.
Excellent point Bill. I have front disc brakes, rear drum. I just happened to come across Musclecar brakes while on-line. I wondered was this simply "snake oil" ? I was willing to try it initially.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts