Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most here already know this car from the for sale section. It is now in the hands of a local customer and board member Matt. He was last in line to own this gem and had also put the car up for sale after only having it a short time, but decided to keep it and fix it which is we come in.

This Camaro had tons of potential, but fell way short during the assembly process. That and being blue is where I came up with the project name. Anyways, we will document the build and it will probably be 2 fold. Get the car mechanically sound we it can be driven this year, and then approach cosemetics at a later date. It is truly a 20 footer, nice enough paint you won't be ashamed to be seen in it, but if you get to close you start seeing lots of problems with alignments, gaps, bodywork, etc. I will be posting most the pics on facebook, but will post the more relavent ones here for your viewing pleasure.
Here is the short run down on what is coming up for the car already set in stone.

DSE subframe
DSE Quadralink and new Moser 12 bolt
rehooped front wheels and wider tires
LS3 E-ROD
6 speed from American Powertrain
Vintage Air Gen IV
Vintage Air front runner drive
Baer 6P brakes

and one of my favorites

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike, nice project. What are your plans for the interior?

I have seen wiring similar to that nightmare...
currently has stock black interior and deluxe door panels. plans are for a pair of Recaros, and a new dash insert to replace the ugly covans piece.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After a long hard day, it is in pieces. Lots of laughs today taking this thing apart. I firmly believe some people do not need to own tools. You can see a lot of what we found on our facebook page, loaded another 18 pics few minutes ago. enjoy!

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
Looking forward to following this thread.I hope the first guy who put it together isn't on TC but I guess he needs to know what people think so he ups his game.There is a guy on here named Art I told about your parts did he contact you.Good luck with the progress looking forward to it.....

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking forward to following this thread.I hope the first guy who put it together isn't on TC but I guess he needs to know what people think so he ups his game.There is a guy on here named Art I told about your parts did he contact you.Good luck with the progress looking forward to it.....
thanks, we have been trying to call the owner we think built or had the car built which is 2 owners prior to current and won't answer his phone. Car originally showed up on PT.com back March of last year. i have posted the build there too. The car was truly unsafe and should have never been represented in the manor it was plain and simple. Current owner got a fair enough deal he is not hurt, but didn't get a smoking deal either.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DSE suspension and Baer brakes have arrived. Waiting on LS3 and 6 speed to show hopefully next week. Having to redo the minitubs now as they were installed incorrectly and the frame is cracked because of it. Cut the dash out Saturday in preperations for a Marquez dash we are ordering on Monday. We are finsihing a 55 Cameo this week before we can move onto the metal work on the Camaro. I will have more pics soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got any photos of the damage to the frame from the incorrect mini-tub install? Where did the frame fail? I checked out the facebook page photos and didn't see the frame damage. Looks like it had a 4-link. Which set up was that? And I love those mods to get the air bags to work.

Finish was something to be desired, to say the least!!

DSE suspension and Baer brakes have arrived. Waiting on LS3 and 6 speed to show hopefully next week. Having to redo the minitubs now as they were installed incorrectly and the frame is cracked because of it. Cut the dash out Saturday in preperations for a Marquez dash we are ordering on Monday. We are finsihing a 55 Cameo this week before we can move onto the metal work on the Camaro. I will have more pics soon.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got any photos of the damage to the frame from the incorrect mini-tub install? Where did the frame fail? I checked out the facebook page photos and didn't see the frame damage. Looks like it had a 4-link. Which set up was that? And I love those mods to get the air bags to work.

Finish was something to be desired, to say the least!!
frame failed right at the notch in the back due to the welds being ground to far and too thin of plate material used. I have not posted the frame damage yet. It had a Ridetech Airbar half a$$ welded in, and was designed to be bolted in. There are several known examples of frame rail cracks even when the frame is properly notched due to them being welded instead of bolted.

·
Registered
435 Posts
great, guess how mine is in? :)

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
great, guess how mine is in? :)
Ummmm? Too funny! Not really. I guess it's easier to just weld than run to the hardware store and buy some nuts and bolts. My shifter linkage was welded to the side cover plate! :mad:

Looking forward to this build. I just wish I had the money to follow in the same path! :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
The way the Air Ride deal bolts in leaves one rather scared on how well it will actually hold. I bolted it in, then tacked the heads of the bolts so they dont back out, then ran a bead along the frame where I could. I tried to keep it on the cool side, just enough to penetrate. We will see. If I break it I guess I will ship it to Mike as he is pretty familliar with fixing them lol.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally getting back to this project, had to completely re-skin a 68 Camaro that was not planned when project arrived, go figure. Anyways, in preparation for the new DSE sub, LS3 and 6 speed, I started on the firewall. Naturally, as with the rest of this car, the DSE firewall plate was butchered. So we removed it, replaced it, and then did not stop till I got to the other side of the firewall. Still a work in progress, but a good start. Sorry Matt, if you see this before you come by on Thursday. :D

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Two thumbs up for 'doing it right' Mike, good on ya!!

Makes me happy to know another sweet 69 will be on the road!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think we made it to the bottom. We were concern about some of the metal work in the back of the car and decided to investigate. Between what we found and the hidden rust also present, our next big decision was made alot easier. We are slightly further along as Matt's pics shows, so more updates coming soon!

frame rail folded back and not welded, both sides were this way

they attempted to glue bond the outer wheelhouse to the quarter panel, but forgot to clamp it down after laying a bead of glue

which resulted in us doing this after we discovered the hidden rust

trail fit of all the new sheetmetal

new frame rail notched and plated correctly

1 - 20 of 20 Posts