Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get the rear brakes to hold a good pedal. I can pump up the brakes, but they go soft right away. Usually 2 pumps and the pedal feels good again.

Also when I get a good pedal and I start the engine the pedal will go to the floor.

How can you tell which pin to use between and booster and the m/c? I have new booster and a new m/c so I can't go by my old parts. The cup on the m/c has a hole that goes in about an inch. It's a "309" copy. The booster is a Delco/Moraine stamp repo.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Sure sounds like you have air in your lines. How did you bleed the brakes?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Fred, Were your rear calipers adjusted out mechanically before the bleeding process? I had to adjust the e-brake lever on mine (79 trans-am) type rear calipers that maybe it

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We did bleed the brakes before getting the e-brake set right. But since getting the e-brake adjusted we have bleed the brakes repeatedly.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Dave..Mine is almost ready to be bled.I still having problems adjusting the e-brake.
I just checked my master cylinder from the kit.Mine has a 2" bore and
I set it up with the longer of the two rods.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I can't get the rear brakes to hold a good pedal. I can pump up the brakes, but they go soft right away. Usually 2 pumps and the pedal feels good again.

Also when I get a good pedal and I start the engine the pedal will go to the floor.

How can you tell which pin to use between and booster and the m/c? I have new booster and a new m/c so I can't go by my old parts. The cup on the m/c has a hole that goes in about an inch. It's a "309" copy. The booster is a Delco/Moraine stamp repo.

Suggestions?
Dave,

Sounds like your master is leaking either into the booster or bypassing internally (between the pistons). I had this years ago when I first got the car running and I had a "New" Master on the car. It was bypassing internally, I could pump the pedal and it would be very hard then slowly get spongy and push to the floor.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tada! Finally have brakes. We found a leak in the line that runs fromthe rear flex hose between the body and the top of the diff. Once that was fixed we started to get better pedal feel.
We would get good pedal but lose the pedal when the booster line to intake manifold was hooked up. We tested the booster to see if it would hold vacuum. It would not. Also tested another new booster that I have. It would also not hold vacuum. we ended up put the original booster back on the car.

At this time I do have brakes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts