Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well after many set backs and life in general getting in the way, I'm finally (but slowly) making time to work on my 1969.

Bought the car back in high school (2003) for $1800. Spotted it sitting in a guys back yard while taking a detour leaving auto shop. Outside didn't look bad, car was on 4 flat tires, what could go wrong. Got it to my parents, cleaned up the body, got to the interior and my stomach dropped when I saw the floor.

Started patching the floor when it got put on hold while working full time and going to college. Then with couple job changes. Then marriage. Kids. Career. Last year I desired to make time for my car. It will be a slow process but I figure little at a time is something.

Last year I started with the jig so I could move the car as well as line panels up.

I do owe Matt (350SShuger) a thanks for help and guidance on the jig. I was overthinking a lot with the jig and he was able to put my mind at ease with it on a few issues.

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,408 Posts
It's never too late, hell you have a 25 year head start on my project! Is that a Mazak Mill?

Have fun and enjoy the journey!

Brett.......

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Cute helper! I'd say you've got it down about as far as you can. Good luck getting it all back together... and enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Well the fun part is done! Getting that old floor out - not so fun. Ohh and you new love/hate relationship in your life will now be with your spot weld cutter lol. Good luck

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's never too late, hell you have a 25 year head start on my project! Is that a Mazak Mill?

Have fun and enjoy the journey!

Brett.......
Why yes it is. Impressed someone can tell from that picture, lol.

Machined all the OAL uprights and brackets on that machine.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where she has sat for too long.

Getting her on the jig.

On the flat bed moving from my parents house to mine. Good friend of mine, his family owns the tow company.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Very cute little one Erik. My little one is always out there with me when I'm working on mine. Enjoy the time together because they grow fast!

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Wow! Pool, cooler, Cutie pie helper, and a 1st Gen. Life is good.
Enjoy the project.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow! Pool, cooler, Cutie pie helper, and a 1st Gen. Life is good.
Enjoy the project.
Thanks. I try to. Life has been a little stressful lately with trying to switch job again, mainly to get off second shift. I have found working on the car little by little has help manage my stress by taking my mind off the stressful part of everyday life.

Last few times I've worked on the car this past month, I manages to remove the rest of the engine bay wiring, master cylinder, heater box under the dash and removed the driver turip panel.

Hoping to get a lot more done on it when the weather breaks. Cold and lots of snow here lately with no heat in garage yet.

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,408 Posts
Why yes it is. Impressed someone can tell from that picture, lol.

Machined all the OAL uprights and brackets on that machine.
Haha. Well, I've been running Mazaks for almost 30 years, so its easy for me to spot one. Lathes, Mills, Horizontals.

Brett.....

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha. Well, I've been running Mazaks for almost 30 years, so its easy for me to spot one. Lathes, Mills, Horizontals.

Brett.....
Nice. This is our VCN-530C. Currently I'm the CNC programmer for the mills. Thinking long and hard of leaving for a day job though. I really like it but with two little ones, its getting harder on me. Oldest will be going to all day kindergarten next year so I'd only see her on the weekend. Have a sister plant that is showing interest in me for a manufacturing engineering position (fancier title then the job description, trust me, lol).

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's good to see you after it Erik. I don't know how much credit you can give me for the jig....that thing is a work of art with the milled parts. I cut mine with a chop saw. :grin2:
It helped me to hear from someone that is as far along as you are on your car to stop over thinking it and just weld it. LoL.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
I replaced that entire inner and outer cowl panel on mine - I think that was actually worse then the floor with all the spot welds, hidden spot welds and hidden spot weld behind those spot welds lol. Glad you have found a new therapy(beware it may turn into an addiction) and are making good headway.

Reactions: SilverSS1969

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
What parts are you planning to change while your car is on the jig?

Makes me wonder if my reproduction parts would have fit better if I had a precision jig like yours.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What parts are you planning to change while your car is on the jig?

Makes me wonder if my reproduction parts would have fit better if I had a precision jig like yours.
Cowl, firewall, floor, trunk, rear rails and tail panel.

Quarter panels had been replace at some point by a preclude owner so those are in good shape. They don't have the same issues I've seen on other repop panels so makes me wonder if they were GM nos at some point.

The rear brackets I milled on a Bridgeport at my buddies house. All the front brackets and uprights were milled on the CNC Mazak.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So tinkered a little tonight and bought the driver side tulip and door jamb patch panel.

Question about the tulips. I assumed this was a multi-piece design. But now that I bought it, it is just an inner and outer?

I need to replace/fix the rear lower portion and the front portion. Would I just be better off repalcing the whole thing? Or trying to patch the rear and replace the front? Mostly curious what other did.

I beleive Matt or Shad had the issue regarding cowl to tulip figment on the inside? Apparently the factory did too with the gap they left near the front.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
That's interesting with the gap. I think all of us struggled with that.

Yes, inner and outer is all there is. I replaced the whole thing; if I ever did another one of these cars there are certain places that I would section if I could rather than replace it the whole panel. I don't think this would be one of them, but there is a million spot welds holding it in so it will drive you crazy at first trying to remove it. Try to think through your surrounding repairs. Each successive replacement will effect the next panel and so on. If it works to just do the bottom section then go for it. Ultimately only you can decide what the best method is for your particular case. Isn't this fun? :smile2:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts