Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What an embarrassment... right by my neighbor with his Mustang. Anyway, here's what happened. Need some advice. My ignition key was not working properly. Car didn't start in morning... had to have a jump. Ignition switch has been acting weird last three days... key would not come out of ignition, had to "pull" it out. After the car would not start, thought battery was dead. Checked it on a charger at Advance Auto. It was good. Guy said, "could be voltage regulator... stuck 'open'". I thought, "well, it is VERY old." Replaced it. Went out and started car... would not turn off immediately after you turned key off. Just a little hesitation. THEN, it would not turn off at all after going down the road. SO... I used the "kill switch" I installed on the ground wire to the coil. I have an MSD 6AL and MSD coil. Car quit of course. Went to restart it after switching kill switch back "on"... NOTHING. NOT A SPARK TO THE POSITIVE SIDE OF THE COIL. All electrics work. THe motor cranks. Jumped a wire from pos. battery to pos coil lead, and cranked. Checked all fuses.

Here are the questions.

1. Could this still be related to a bad ignition switch (I have one ordered)?
2. Did using the kill switch and breaking the ground on the MSD coil while the car was running possibly short/fry the MSD 6AL box or coil or both?
3. Any ideas on troubleshooting.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
replace the ign switch

check the ign fuse just because.
bypass kill switch.
check to make sure you have power to msd via ign wire.
to check the msd.. pull the coil wire from the dist. put a bolt in it and hang in about 1/2 from the block. run a jumper from the bat to the + side of coil. with the connector apart short the posts together if you got spark from bolt.. msd is A OK. If no spark, pull the coil and try another.
If using the white wire, setup the same and tap it with the a lead from the battery. you should get a series of sparks.
If still no spark
If its the mag pickup type setup. disconnect the connector from the controller to the dist. with a multi meter go across the two poles. you should get a reading of between 400 and 1300 ohms. any less or more and the mag pickup is shot.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The MSD ignition box was blown... ugh. $200 later and I finished installing it this afternoon. GUESS WHAT? This is all related to a post here that I wish I had read earlier discussing run on and MSD ignitions. THat is really what was happening when I used the kill switch to stop car. Darn. Pays to stay on these forums... learning.

·
Super Moderator
32,530 Posts
I believe MSD supplied, or they used too, two short, approx 1 to 1 1/2 inch jumpers, purple, I think, to jumper across the respective terminals on the two hook up boards added to the coil posts to get one to limp home. Provided you have retained the point system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts