Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 254 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

This January I decided to do a ground up restoration on my 67 L78 Camaro. So, I have been accumulating parts, restoring original equipment and with the help of a good friend performing necessary body work.

Here is where I am to date:
1) body completely disassembled and on rotisserie. There was very minor rust that was patched up in the 70's. We are removing the bondo and welding the bad spots.

2) sub frame completely refurbished and powder coated.

3) Engine rebuilt professionally....balanced and blue printed.

4) Trans and 12 bolt refurbished.

5) All chrome rechromed.

6) Inner fenders, rad support, head lamp bezels, etc... powdercoated.

7) Hood hinges and latches replayed.

8) 4 piston power disc brakes completely refurbished.

9) New SS brake lines, tank, fuel lines.

10) All nuts and bolts refurbished or replaced.

11) rebuilt console gauges and tach.

12) New headliner, carpet, moldings.

Waiting for soda blaster to completely clean body and fenders....then painting will begin!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Assessing the damage. The tunnel was torn and tattered. There were 2 small holes in the floor ( rust from inside the car). And finally, there were pin holes in the trunk.

The only bondo found at this point was on the trunk floor.

In my mind, I was struggling with how I would repair the tunnel. It was a mess from a broken driveshaft.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I documented the headliner from many angles before removing it.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And more headliner pics.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Repairing each quarter. There was 1 small hole at the rear of each wheel well. They had been patched with bondo in 1975 and were beginning to degrade.

I had to remove a portion of the inner well and quarter to remove rust that began to eat away at the wheel well rim.

The results were better than I could ever had hoped for. Everything was butt or plug welded and laser straight.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And look at the floor now! I figured out how to repair the floor. I found a donor tunnel from a cool dude in Ohio. It had the seat belt anchors in it as well. So, I cleaned it up and butt welded it in....carefully. I was able to remove all traces of the drive shaft damage.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fixing the rear seat pan. This was tough as well. I found a complete pan from Camaro Central that. Enabled me to butt weld up to the tunnel and along the rear of the floor where the trunk meets the interior. I was able to retain the original traction bar bracket and did not have to remove it.

I did have to transfer the rear seat belt anchor and seat anchor to the new pan. I also had to create new holes in the pan for the traction bar bolts.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The rear filler panel was a pain! My buddy tried to repair a few holes in the filler panel window well and it warped the panel.

It made a bad problem worse. So, I removed the filler panel and replaced it. It was easy to replace and looks great now!!!!
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rear window well repair. There were holes filled with bondo. After removing the bondo I had to decide if I was going to replace the roof skin or find another way to repair it.

Camaro Central sells front and rear roof well sections.

The old metal was easy to remove and the new parts fit like a glove.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 254 Posts
Top