Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I spent the day troubleshooting my RS lights. New relays, limit switches, and figuring out how to wire everything up. I discovered my circuit breaker was bad so I bypassed it by touching the wires together. I was pleased that both doors operated. Unfortunately they work in reverse. On the plus, the limit switches work well too. The doors stopped when I activated the correct switch.

I've called it a night for today but wanted to hear any suggestions for what to look at when I take a stab at it this week sometime.

Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey there,

I had a similar problem but I had one door working right and one working wrong. I had to make sure all the switched were grounded well too. The motors don't work right without grounding them.

After pulling my hair out for a few evenings, I didscovered that one of the new motors was wired wrong. I switched them and it has been working great since then.

Good Luck

Tim

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've been down this road before. The following link provides a graphic of the wiring. It is provided by David Pozzi--\
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/David_Pozzi/67rswire.jpg

Pay special attention to the type below the diagram for the color coding for the wires that hook into the limit switches. This is where I suspect the problem is for you. check the limit switch wire colors. I think they may be reversed. Just change them and your problem should be corrected

Lance

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link but I already have the wiring diagram.

I've tested each limit switch to see if the motor cuts off when the correct limit switch is triggered. That works, the motor shuts off each way and individually. Could the motors still cut off properly if the limit switches are wired backwards?

Are the motors specific to which side they need to be on? I assumed the motors are the same and the relays and switching handles the polarity to set the direction of the motors. Am I correct in that assumption or are the motors mirrored to each other?

Dave

·
Registered
125 Posts
Dave,

You didn't have to replace the motors or the relay, right? Is there any chance that one of the relays is bad?

Does it matter if the Ignition switch is on or off when you are operating the lights? You don't have to have the key on to open the doors but you need the ignition on to close the doors. If the doors only open with the ignition key on then the Diode is bad under the dash.

Do you have the Camaro RS headlight wiring diagram manual? It has a decent trouble shooting section for the 67.

------------------
Timo
67 RS/SS 350 Camaro

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Timo, actually, that's what I've been using was the RS headlight wiring diagram. Unfortunately, there's no mention of doors operating backwards. To answer your other questions, the seller replaced both motors and all the relays are also new.

I thought about it some last night and I am betting that if I reverse the wires on each motor that it will correct it and the doors will operate the correct way. Actually, you had mentioned that above too.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Scooby Doo (edited 10-10-2000).]

·
Registered
820 Posts
Scooby doobie dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

sounds like the wires on the new motors are reversed. the previous owner on my 67 R/S decided to replace the passenger side motor, and theres a fuse in the bottom of the assembly, dont know if its home made (kinda a stupid place for it if you ask me) but it was wired up backwards. one would open while one was closing... I reversed the wires, badabing. all better.

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING!
http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list

·
Registered
156 Posts
The wires from the motors go directly to a plug which then goes directly to the limit switches. The plugs should only fit one way but if you don't have the plugs then perhaps your car was rewired. I would go ahead and reverse the wires from the motor since they operate opposite. I'm not sure if this will just reverse your problem or not.
You said the doors stop when you press the correct limit switch--Do you have to press the opening limit switch to get the motor stopped in close mode or does the motor stop when it reaches the limit switch it's heading for??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts