Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned this Camaro since early 1969. It was a mostly stock street racer when I bought it and I followed the same path. It was a low mile car when I got it and never really accumulated too many miles but those it did were well beaten. When it was in use it was never garaged, When it wasn't in use it was always garaged. I parked it in my garage here in 1984 and disassembled it shortly thereafter....then it sat. When it moved a little while ago my daughter instagramed pictures of the empty spot because she claimed to have never seen the floor there before. My oldest rode in it but I doubt he remembers. Most of what the kids know is some pictures and stories.

Attachments

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
And so it begins Steve, the itch to get at it again got you here with a build thread. Shortly folks like me will nag you endlessly for news of the progress and of course photos, gory detail photos. :) Get at it.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,456 Posts
Cool Steve, now the fun starts

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dug the car out, took the subframe back off, and put it on the rack. Back on 4 wheels for the first time in decades but its not the same.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Great back story Steve. Looking forward to watch your build. Any thoughts yet on which direction you are going to take with the build yet?

·
Super Moderator
32,340 Posts
Good luck, Steve, on your new project.
Keep us informed - maybe a Build Project thread?

·
Registered
99 Posts
You made me feel a little better knowing mine isn't the only one that's been asleep a long time. Now if I had charged myself storage every month for the last two and a half decades it would be on the way to the body shop:)

Looking forward to seeing the progress

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
then epoxy - the red thing in the background is the tool body off a 58 Mack B fire truck

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In 69 2 bad things happened to the Camaro. Just before labor day I was nailed in the rear by a friend on a Norton Commando as I was starting to make a left turn. The Norton cartwheeled over the rear right corner of the car. A luck would have it I managed to go both ways through a 65 goat windshield on Labor Day, was laid up for a while, and the 2nd bad thing befell the Camaro. My dad gave it to one of his lodge buddys to fix and the guy was a maximum bondo slinger. This left me with a pulled and puttied back end some of which still lasts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By the winter of 72 the car was a bit rolling junk pile and I took it apart the first time. The rear wheel wells were flapping in the breeze. The headliner stitching was coming apart as were both bucket seats. The deluxe door panels cracked about every way they could. My dad was harping on me to get rid of it. Instead I had the quarters replaced. I yanked the interior and when I found out I couldn't get replacement door panels I got black ones off a wreck, dyed every other decent interior piece I had black, had the exposed metal repainted black, and had the seats rolled and pleated in white. I found out I also could not get the deck panel or a back panel for a 67 Rally so the car has gone for over 40 years without reverse lights. I put another 350 in it also. It was an over the counter 4 bolt main block, tufftrided service crank that I had straightened and indexed, pink floating rods, 11.5 TRW's, 492 angle plug heads, a General Kinetics cam and valve train that bit me in the ***, Weind Exterminatior, 750 dp holley, and Thorley headers. I have that antique hanging on a stand. Hacked a big hole in the floor for a Super Shifter also.

some pics of that job

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have heard it described less politely
nothing like a little blasting and epoxy to expose the problems
the body guys that have seen this call it weird rust. Nothing in the rockers or the cowl but the front floor wells and the firewall have it. To be replaced are trunk floor, front floor wells, firewall, back inner panel, tail light panel and gussets, and the panel under the window. That has rust in the window recess also.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
while the body is being worked on there are a few odds and ends to be done also

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the last time I started working on the car was 2004. I started in the front while I puzzled over the back. I had the subframe blasted and imroned. Put Hotchkiss springs and sway bar on it, Bilsteins, and some Energy Suspension stuff. I thought about the gulstrand mod but didn't do it. Fitted it with disc spindles and C-5 brakes. I am rethinking a bit of that. The back end wound up stumping me. I contacted most of the chassis shops that were advertising back end kits got there data and was uneasy with what I was seeing. I made some solid models of their linkage geometry and it wasn't working for me. While I was pondering I wound up taking that middle age male route into Harley Davidsons and despite one wreck that is still following me around. There are places in this country like Rt6 in pa, Utah 128, Colorado 550, anywhere north of Yellowstone, that cant be better experienced in a moving vehicle.
But I digress.....
this is where I have progress to by today. I am in the que for the bodywork. It was supposed to go yesterday.....you know the tune.....
I can tell you that I don't know yet where this is going to wind up. These jobs are a mix of what you want to do, can do, and wont do and often the only thing clear is the wont.
My kids want it the way it was when I parked it. I wont do that. It was 1967 technology. I have a 23 year old stock MR2 that would run rings around the Camaro in its original form. My kids don't understand how bad that was. They have never driven anything like it
My wife wont abide the deluxe blue interior. Good thing I have a deluxe white in the attic also...see how the mice made out......
I don't have a driveline picked out though I kinda know where the rear is going. In a strange turn of thought I find myself only considering small blocks with injection and LS's with carburetors. I may have to enter analysis........
to be continued........................

Attachments

1 - 20 of 69 Posts