Team Camaro Tech banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Brought it back home Halloween. Now I have to start digging through stuff, fixing or cleaning as needed, and begin reinstalling. Underdash, harness, headliner, glass, and working on getting a rear under it in the meantime is the short term plan.
Lately I have been working a bunch of Sundays mainly hanging around as a point of information, gopher, or last ditch janitor. When I get too bored I go down to the machine shop, happily usually empty on a Sunday, and whittle out stuff. The AAW update harness has a wire for a third brake light. I was thinking it awful to waste a wire so I started to work up a light. Its not done and cant be until the glass is in and I can match the radius but assume its powdercoat black. Let me know if you think its nuts. I gotta say though that Shows post regarding the 3d printer has me rethinking this. Next project is the battery box

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Wondering what would fit under the back of the car was a puzzle. I made up plastic suspension components to mimic my DSE setup. This turned out to be overkill but I did use the upper arm setup to hold the rig together. I put an old set of L60-15s on cragers in the back up in position to measure the clearance gain with the DSE minitubs. The tires, flat, were 9-1/2 tread, 10-1/2 section, 27 diameter. The pics show them hanging flush tread to well and all the way up. Both sides measure up about the same.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Started putting stuff back in the car. When I dug it out a year ago I wouldn't have guessed this is where going back together would start but here it is. Sound deadener in the roof. Start on the firewall and kicks tomorrow if I get the chance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I am in "Fisher Body" mode, working on stuff on the body. Its a process of inching forward in one direction until you hit an obstacle that requires something you don't have then moving back to something you can move forward with. I am working on body wiring, anything under the dash, getting the headliner in, all in prep to get the glass back in the car. My biggest choke point to date was deciding to use a big block heater core so as to gain the clearance behind the head and not realizing there are 2 cores and getting the wrong one. I compounded it by cracking a tube loose. This was a blessing in disguise because the end result was a completely resoldered core that was pressure tested. It still is wrong. It fits though., I just need to make clips. I made the bolt on clip but now I have to make the other one too. I want to install a trunk battery in a box and that's a problem also. it just tight in there so it will need a trick box. I have the dash harness half way in and the rear body harness half way in. I sprung for the crimpers and am glad I did even though I am soldering also. The left tail light didn't fit in the recess right. That was a surprise because we borrowed a pair of lights to fit while it was in the shop. Turns out a little filing on the tail panel and more on the light itself worked. The light, which is original, has a parting line on the light housing stamping that is so big it wouldn't pass the opening. When I clean up the lights I will likely take the parting material off completely. I am happy with the Classic Update Harness. All this stuff takes time....
I have attached a pic of the box the core came in. If you get one of these pressure test it. If mine was returnable I likely would have.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I have most of the dash done. Heater controls are in along with a Retrosound radio. I am 60% done with the wiring through the passenger compartment. AAW make a 9 pin bulkhead connector that is just a little big for the factory AC bulkhead firewall hole. I am putting a single bulkhead for the alternator B+. I am in the process of trying to allow the rear seat to cover the minitubs and the quadralink mounts with the understanding no one will every want to sit back there. I was surprised at the level of rust on my original deluxe arm rest backing plates. Good thing I had 2 sets. I have gotten to the point of thinking that sectioning my fold down seat to fit back there just isn't worth the effort.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
firewall side of things. I stripped a bulkhead connector in the open hole. Not quite 1 whole thread in that metal nut on it. Next one is going to get a sawed off straight pipe nut on it. The firewall that went in is holed for factory AC. I have AAW bulkhead connectors in 2 AC holes. A 9 pin above the heater box and the reverse light connector in the hole for that capillary tube that is on the factory AC system. The nine pin (actually 6 over 3) is connected to the Neutral Safety Switch circuit with the 3 wire incl power out for the relay. Going to use the switch in the Tremec. The 6 has Batt 20a, switched 20a, field disconnect, and the cable to the rear starter solenoid.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
working on the headliner and sail panels this weekend. The headliner has been in and clipped for a couple months but I was waiting for it too warm up enough that we had a few consecutive warm days round the clock to stretch it more and glue it. At the moment I am waiting for glue to dry on the sails. I would like to get to the place to get the glass back in before I take off for vacation. The upper seat section is tub adjusted. The lower isn't.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
All lines up decent so far. Its not adjusted to where it needs to be but there is plenty of room for it. I need to get the upper shock mounts marked and installed tomorrow I hope then take it out and get it powder coated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
If there is one thing I am good at it is making sure I do something the hard way. After way more time and screw ups than would normally be required I have 2 shoes back on the floor. I can tell you what not to do with this setup. In the end it did go together nice though. Its a Strange S60 floater on a quadralink.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
still working in the back. Donnys pics a little while back showed the wisdom of doing this but it is a pain to get around the floor's formed shapes. Hopefully the tank will be in till next weekend is over.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I got the tank in and the sender and pump in the tank. I think it worked out decently. I used OER's antisqueak kit. The tank straps liners are too narrow for Tanks Inc straps so I trimmed off a side. stuck them on with gorilla glue so I wouldn't have to fight them too much. Initially I thought Tanks did a poor job prebending the straps but when actually installing the setup it would have been a much greater pita had they been bent any other way. I started with 4-1/2" carriage bolts that I ultimately shortened to 3-1/4 for assembly. torque up the tank, let it sit overnight because the straps are gonna relax at their new form,
torque em again, and again later. then loosen a little, run down the jamb nuts, and tighten it. This has been one job that was a lesser pita then some. If you happen to have a softail jack it makes it easy.

Attachments

Reactions: DT

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Looking good Steve - Nice trap door idea!

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Havent kept up with this too much. Today is the first time in 35 years that my 67 has sat on the ground on 4 tires. No alignment to speak of but it looks better then i feared. I put on 235/45-17 nittos on billet specialty 5-1/4 backspace wheels. I have the big wilwoods on the front that shove it out 3/8” so 1/8 shims should make them math correct. We’ll see.
No engine yet but i have a gmpp gen4 ls block coming from summit.
I have to make the car a decent roller so i can trailer it over to my friends place and get it on his lift. Im just too damn old to do some of this stuff on my back in no space anymore.
I am amazed at how bad some of the repop sheet metal is. I have AMD fenders on it and i have to move the cowl mounts on both.
I ordered a grille setup from CHQ that shipped from AMD and wowwee, another adventure in fitment.

Reactions: DT

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Working on getting my mounting surface spacing dimension for a rear. Tires are "up".
Man I love the way those tires look. Had mine tucked up too, but I had to raise it up substantially in real life driving. We have high crowns on our roads and I kept hitting the exhaust even though everything was tucked up as tight as possible. Hope you have better luck

41 - 60 of 69 Posts