Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
If been on and off this board for a while, but decided to join and document my latest project.

First, a little background on the car so far...

I bought my 68 RS/SS (clone) back in June of 07. As you can tell from the pictures, it had the wrong tail lights and other stuff, but not too bad. The guy I bought it from put in the 4-wheel discs, RS headlight kit and 5-speed Tremec TR-3550 tranny.

I drove it like this for a little while, but as you can imagine little things started cropping up that I either WANTED to fix or HAD to fix, so it wasn't long before I did an engine swap. (I'll show that in the next post along with discussing my plans for this current (never ending) project!:D

I'm already pretty far into this project, but just never seemed to find the time to sit down and start this thread. You will see a lot of posts soon as i catch up to where I actually am in the process, but like any project, you have to start somewhere :)

Attachments

·
19,786 Posts
Not a bad plan....and you may not know we have an LSx section now also :yes:

Looks like a nice starting point :beers:

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, so that's a quick intro about what I started with. The next step was a LOT of little things as I'm sure you are all aware. Stuff like tail lights, high beam, horn, turn signal etc.

I also put in some dynamat, and new autometer gauges, but the biggest changes was I pulled the existing engine and brought it to the local engine builder and had him bore and stroke it. Turns out it was already 30 over, so we did 40 over and made a 385 stroker (but I still but the 383 badges)

I'll only do a couple sets of pictures of this phase, just so everyone can see.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, now that everyone is up to date, let me explain my goals for this project.

First, I wanted two things. I wanted to fix the body issues which were starting to bother me more and more. The drivers door didn't close correctly and there were some issues where the bondo was starting to come through most especially on the roof where it was really starting to crack. It also leaked a little around the windshied.

Second it that I wanted to be able to drive the care more. The biggest issue with this was the engine. Although it was ok, it ran a little hot, got bad mileage and just plain wasn't as reliable as a modern engine.

Also, like most, i'm not rich, so I needed to keep the costs manageable and finance it as I go. This meant I would NOT do some things in this "phase" of the project (maybe someday i'll do the last phase)

So, that means I will be swapping the 383 stroker with a modern LS engine and taking the whole car apart down to bare metal and doing a new paint job.

What I WILL NOT be doing is:

1. Any engine upgrades for now. This means no new cam or intake or such. This is because I know myself and once I get into it I will be $5k by the time that I am done. I figure that once I'm done, it will be an "easy" winter project to pull the engine and do all the work myself or bring it to Chad Golen and have him do it when I can afford it.

2. No suspension upgrades. Same as before new rear ends, bigger brakes, coil overs, tubular control arms and hydro formed subframes cost big bucks and again, once the car is done, these are relatively easy to bolt on (with the exception of the subframe).

So, like most guys, I went to school on all the LS engine options. I'll explain all that in the next post, but for now, here's some pics of the old engine all crated up and being shipped out!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, so now that that's done, I wanted to give everyone an idea of what I envision the finished product to look like. I'm sure it will change along the way, but for now I've attached some picture of cars I'm using for inspiration.

You'll notice there's a central theme. Some may not care for the "rat rod" kind of flat black, but I like it a lot. I've done a lot of research into how to get just the right look.

I'm not going to copy any of these exactly, but it's my starting point. Pretty sure I won't do the mini-tubs, fender flares or yellow stripes, but you never know

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, here are some pics of what I purchased as the engine for the car. As I mentioned before, I learned about all the different GM LS engines from the iron blocks, early generations and so on.

Like most guys, I wanted the latest and greatest, but that of course costs the most. I had pretty much settled on a 6.2 liter L92 from a Denali or escalade. I was going to buy the transmission separately. Ideally, I wanted an LS3 engine/transmission pullout from a 2010 or later Camaro. There are plenty of them, but they are either too expensive or have too many miles.

Then I came across a listing on e-bay for just what I wanted, the LS3 with 6-speed manual and low miles (36k) but like most things. there was a "catch" It was from a wrecked 2010 Camaro, but there was also a fire, which meant everything melted and it would need a lot of new parts.

I figured that for $3k it was a deal even after buying all those parts provided there was nothing major wrong like broken parts of the rotating assembly. Then it would be a complete re-build.

Anyway, here are some pictures.

Let me know how crazy you think I am...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
That is a great base to build off of, just clean up, replace damaged parts and you are good to go. I assume that the T56 from a camaro you will be able to adjust the shift position to use the console. I know you can on the after market ones.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, it was from a 2010 Camaro, but the shifter was in pretty bad shape.
I already replaced it with a "quick Stik" I got from e-bay like this one:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts