Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am about to start my 69 conv, project. I have a boat load of questions i will be asking along the way since I am some what of a novice.
I have been reading a few threads of well documented posts and hoping mine will come out nearly as well. I need to start with replacing the drivers side rocker assembly, which includes A pillar repair and inner quarter panel repair. So this leads me to my first question; AMD sells an inner quarter repair panel for a coupe, what is the difference between the coupe and convertible? And is it possible to use the lower two inches of the panel? At $80 it would seem to be a waste of money. Any thoughts? I will post progress as soon as I figure how to post pics.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Ask away. This is great resource with many knowledgeable folks here willing to share their expertise. I know it was especially helpful for me and even made a few friends along the way.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Keven, I already have vert rockers, it's the inner quarter panel thet has rusted away from the rocker itself. All the vendors sell a patch panel for the coupes, but none mention if they could be adapted for a vert.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rob, I've seen some world class restorations in this forum, and I know I and others to follow will be the benefactors from the wealth of knowledge on the forum. I already have spent hours pouring over others projects. I makes want to do this all day every day until it's finished.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It gone about an inch from the rocker and across to the curved section, which is non existent. So I think I will just fab the piece I need. I should be getting my jig plans this week. this will be the first step for now.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's some pics that will give some idea of what i'm working on.
floors are gone, rockers will be replaced as will the firewall and a host of other parts.
As I move forward at a slow pace I will add more throughout the build. I will be looking forward to any tips and advice as I am some what of a novice. I have repaired frames and inner fender panels on my Mustang, but this is a huge undertaking.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hi Donny, I do have some fab skills, my job uses many skills from minor electronics to wood to steel fab. I have ordered my parts from AMD. I will be building a jig that is from First Generation Jigs. I wish I knew about the site you posted, I might of rethought my build. I am now committed since I have the parts. I'm not to worried about this build, if I get stuck my brother in-law is a body guy.
Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
That's a big undertaking but you can do it. Break it up into small projects so tht you don't get overwhelmed.

You're on the right track starting with the rockers. The car is built around the rocker location. Once you are done with the jig I would add some bracing to the interior shell to prevent any sagging or flexing. Check it against the factory dimensions so that you know what you are starting with and if any sagging has already occurred. These aftermarket panels will make you question all kinds of things when you are trying to fit them, so take the time to make sure you start off in the right spot.

Good luck and have fun! Watching the transformation with your own sweat equity is worth it.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Matt, when I was doing some digging, a friend had a 69 coupe shell in his shop, I took as many measurements that I could think of. It checks out side to side, but my car took a big hit before I owned it. I will re set the doors after I repair the lower "A" pillar. I'm hoping that when I set the body on the jig it will be ok, but I have a quarter inch difference on the cross measurements. I will be bracing the doors this week when I feel that they are aligned.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As I am reading other threads, I have realized that I am in the wrong forum. I think I should be in the Project build forum.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks again Kevin. We are also going to Paint the car Olympic gold, and add hockey stick stripe and period after market rims. My wife likes the old Cragar SS rims. But that's a long way away for now.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Stuart,
Welcome. I have a 68 convertible Camaro that may or may not have been as bad as your 69. I am a complete beginner and I've been working on my car for over 6 years. (I'm quite slow.) I had to repair my inner quarter support also. Here is a link to a site that I used as a road map for my build. Brian from screaminperformance also has a thread. Check out his 68 resurrection.
68 Vert Resurrection

Also, you can look at my thread, ( link below). I took a bunch of pictures and maybe you can use them as a reference. If I were you, I would get that car braced and on a body cart before you start taking it apart. It looks like a lot of work but it is a lot of fun...mostly. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts