Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently drove from NC to Nebraska and picked up this 69 (X66) project for my wife. It was her 40th b-day present. Now comes the fun. The car is an original 396 4speed car originally bought in NE and has been there for past 40 years (August born car).

The plans are:

semi-stock, semi pro-touring.
Car will be lowered with Hotchkis front and DSE rear leafs, DSE tubular uppers, Baer brakes and 18" wheels.
Interior will be mostly stock, except MAYBE aftermarket dash. Wife has to decide.
Engine: 396
Trans: T400 (wife wants auto). I will continue to try and convince her to go manual, but not working so far.
Rear: Original 12 bolt, 3.07 gears (tru-trac)
Going back with original Glacier blue paint and blue interior
Leaving it as a spoiler delete SS396

I just finished building a body cart. I liked how Mike Riggs from Mikes Custom Cars designed his body cart, so I made one like it. I have to gusset the legs, but I will do that this week.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Nice looking project! I also like the orange one.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Got the car blasted today. Here is a close up pic of the firewall. Hard to make out from this pic, but the lettering looks like: blu and D99. Anyone know what D99 code is?
Probably the body schedule number. Norwood or Van Nuys car?

:beers:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi
Im from Ne.. Where did you get your 69? I drove to Colorado a couple years ago to get my 68 ss 396, should have looked a little harder close to home. Tad

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Cool Project, keep us posted on your advances!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Car turned out well. Not alot of surprises. Rear quarters will need to be replaced (was hoping I could save them) along with outer wheelhouse's (inners are fine). There are a few pin holes in trunk and rear passenger pan, but nothing that cant be welded up.

Also sail panel will need some repair where glass lays but I dont think it requires replacement. Front pass floorpan will need to be replaced between toe pan and just in front of seat riser.

Sail pan lip

Pass pan

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I haven't had a chance to update lately, but I have worked on it some. The pin holes in trunk and a few in rear floor have been welded & smoothed. I cut out part of the front passenger floorpan and butt welded the new peice in. I thought it turned out very nice. I just have to grind the weld down now.

Underneath car:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Nice work on the patch panel to the floor.
I had to do similiar repair to the glass channel on my 67. Not to difficult.

1 - 20 of 212 Posts