Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
The primary, most easily affectable cause of dieseling is:
Compression Ratio versus fuel quality.
Heat is the second biggest culprit. Air inlet and water.

But there's lots of causes, timing, heat, load, engine speed, air inlet temp, there's lots

Put some premium in it.

If it's only an occasional nuisance and not serious, something easy is to put it in gear and shut the switch off.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm with Tim.... Have you tried using premium? That's where I'd start before I'd start gettin' all fancy troubleshooting just yet.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My compression is 9:6 and I always use 93oct. I will recheck my timing this week and if that doesn't work I will go to a colder plug. I called MSD and they said their box just goes dead when there is something wrong with it.

·
11,665 Posts
Jim, This is always the way it goes :) you just get thru the paint/body and assembly issues and you figure it will be smooth sailing. Then you have all these operational issues. Happens with most of these cars :) sorry, I dont have a suggestion to fix, but I PMed you about coming up to look at those doors. Are you going to be around this weekend?

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,016 Posts
Sounds like the operator to me :D

prolly the timing... i'll come help ya this weekend and check that paint for ya.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Guys!!! You left out throttle position. He should install an idle solenoid so when it's off the throttle plate closes past the idle system. Or,,,, he could just install fuel injection.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
What is the idle speed, too fast, it will diesel. It cannot diesel without air... well, thats if the timing is relatively close, and the engine isn't at 250+ degrees. Try lowering the idle speed, most likely will go away.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,016 Posts
i looked at it today guys and i think it's cause the stripes on the spoiler are a little offset.... :sad: just repaint the stripes and it'll stop dieseling!

just kidding schoon... but steve said he had to repaint it... i dropped my car off to him today, so i'm praying this guy is as good as you say.

thanks for the info... the paint looks wicked. can't wait to see it in the sun. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Idle is set @ 800. A little on the high side due to cam.
If I lower the idle the car wants to shake apart. I am betting on the timing or as Jim Say's the strips are crooked.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Idle is set @ 800. A little on the high side due to cam.
If I lower the idle the car wants to shake apart. I am betting on the timing or as Jim Say's the strips are crooked.
is the motor hot?

can you lower the timing and smooth out the idle with air fuel adjustments? along with timing?

you see, 800 rpm is not alot. but enough to cause dieseling....

·
Registered
210 Posts
i've always understood dieseling to be a cause of the idle set too high. fuel is still comming thru the carb and being ignited off a hot spot in the combustion chamber. i don't think timing has any affect on it.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
i've always understood dieseling to be a cause of the idle set too high. fuel is still comming thru the carb and being ignited off a hot spot in the combustion chamber. i don't think timing has any affect on it.
I agree timing has no affect because the ignition is off.

However, I disagree because retarded timing and lean idle mixture would cause heat buildup in the cylinder. Dieseling is Compression Ignition (versus Spark Ignition). It cannot occur without air, fuel, compression, and heat, and the volatility of the fuel matching with the above conditions to cause Compression Ignition. Take away one of the culprits or induce a load that is unsustainable(put er in gear) and the engine stops. You can also turn on the AC to load the ngine, if equipped.

I like the solenoid idea. It's pretty elegant. If everything else is right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts