Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am new here. I have a 1994 3.4 Camaro. For about a month or so, my car is hard to start in the mornings. Actually, it is getting hard to start anytime of the day. I also have a 95 that turns right over with one turn of the key. My 94 used to be the same way but now I have to crank it several times....sometimes after like the 3rd time it sounds like it wants to start so I let go off the key and it "sneezes" for lack of a better word....almost sounds like a backfire from a carb....if I had one..LOL It will usually start on the next crank and runs fine.
Also, I don't know if this is related or not but when I stop for a light, the car drops a few hundred RPMs and the car kind of shudders...never dies...just for a few seconds and then goes right back up to normal...other times it surges a few hundred RPMS and actually acts like it wants to launch...then goes back to normal. Like I said, I don't know if it is related...I am really more concerned about the starting. I have read in a few posts on the internet about the possibility of it being the fuel pump relay?? Possibly the fuel pump itself?? My question is...if it is GOING bad (the relay) would it do this...make it hard to start...it wouldn't start at all if it is ALREADY bad..right??? I can turn the key and hear the fuel pump kick on for few seconds. I have replaced the fuel filter yesterday. The fuel was clean and I had changed it already 10,000 miles ago. That didn't help BTW. One last question...could the Idle Air control possibly be the problem with the surges? Anyone heard of these cars doing this? Thanks! Dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
I myself have a '94 3.4l V6, I haven't had any problems with the RPM's dropping or surging when stopping at a light, but as far as cranking goes, I've had some problems. When I go to crank up for the first time, it starts, but it shudders and I'm worried its heading towards doing what yours is doing when cranking up.

I've had a few people tell me that it was a throttle body sensor causing this (in fact that had been replaced twice before I bought the car). I'm not trying to distract from your post with explaining what mine does, but I thought that maybe what others have suggested to me may be a help to you. I don't know much about sensors and stuff, so I don't know how true this may be, but it might be something to look into, although I don't know how you would go about checking it. I know enough about cars to keep them running, and to make technical/mechanical additions on my own, but diagnostics is not my thing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts