Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ‘m looking for a little help with my 67 RS.

I have a single wire alternator with a built in regulator. Its 94 amps or there about.

I’ve been having problems with my battery dieing.

My ammeter is reading under twelve volts at an idle (0.6 rpm) when I get on the gas it will some times move up to just above 12 volts. At night my head lights dim when I am off the gas and brighten up when I apply gas.

I had my alternator rebuilt and still had the issues. I was told by someone that rebuilt alternators can give problems some times. I went out and bought a new one (a nice chrome single wire built in regulator).

This is what I get for not posting before I put out the cash. It is doing the same thing!

Let me give a little info about the car. It has a ZZ4 350 with a new painless wiring harness. I have only had the car for two or three months and have only put about 200 miles on it. This has been an issue from day one, however it has gotten worse.

I am not much of a mechanic but I spent some time trying to trouble shoot the problem.

1. Checked to see if the battery was getting a charge with my meter and it read between 10 and 11.5 volts.

2. Checked the solenoid at the starter to see if the battery cable was in good condition. (It was)

3. I followed the wire from the back of the alternator to the back of the fuse panel.

(This is where I get a little lost. The painless book said to run a wire from the alt to the starter solenoid. But I was not sure if it was to have two wires one to the starter and one to the fuse panel.) Any ways, I tried both. (Same results either way)

4. After all this I put my meter on the back of the alt and it is only putting out 11.5 volts.

The only thing I can think of is I put on the v groove pulley off the old alt because the new one was a little smaller and my belt was too big.

Could this be the problem?

Sorry if I rambled.

·
Registered
622 Posts
try running a heavy wire from the output of the alternator right to the battery. Also, try revving the engine up a bit before you test, these "self exiting" alternators sometimes need a little jab before they'll start to charge.

Is it possible your alternator is mis boxed, and you have an exiting type instead of self exiting?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts