Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fairly new battery that drains out after about 2 days of sitting. I had the cells checked out and the battery is fine. It was fully charged 2 days ago. No lights or anything are on. I did replace my steering wheel so the horn was worked on but I don't see how that could be the problem. If the horn circuit was leaking I would think I would hear it. Also there doesn't seem to any place in the horn button area that is shorted. Any ideas would be a help I am a bit lost.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When you actuate your horn button you are picking up the negitive side of the circuit. So there is a possibility you have a short with in your steering wheel and you would not hear the horn blow. If you didn't have this problem before you replaced your steering wheel, this would point to your steering wheel change out. Remove your wheel and recheck your work.

·
10,144 Posts
Disconnect one battery lead and insert in series a test light. Be shure and turn everything off, you may have to remove the dome light. If the test light lights, start removing fueses one by one to find the circut that has the problem.

·
10,144 Posts
The volt meter will almost allways read something. It's VERY sensitive as it will measure volts, not amps.
The first time we tried a volt meter we all got into a big argument over weather we had a problem. We tested about 4 other vehicles and got readings on them too!

The light is easy, if you have an ammeter, you can use that.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Use a digital ammeter. Connect it in series with either battery cable. Anything over 100 mA is excessive. Older cars will have little to no mA reading unless an aftermarket stereo with memory has been installed. Later cars, especialy computer controlled cars can have even more draw. As David said, remove the fuses one at a time to see if the problem is on one of those circuits.

I can see how the horn relay coil could be somehow energized which would cause a draw, but the horn circuit would obviously also have to be inop.

Larry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts