Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i finally got the 4-barrel on my car, and now i have more problems. I hate cars. First, a low-constant clicking noise is coming from the direction of my distributor, and i have coolant and antifreeze busted all under my hood. My pedal is sticking kinda and my car is slower than when i had the previos 2-barrel on it. Can someone please help me. I bought an edelbrock 650 thunder series carb, edelborck duel feed fuel inlet, fuel filter and fuel line. Also an edelbrock performer intake. thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think my gas pedel is havin some sort of hang up cuz when you press it it feels like its hung on something and ity makes a popping noise and sometimes when you gas it after start up a loud pop is heard under the hood. One LAST thing to pile on it, if i apply the brakes a decent amount my car will veer to the left. Are you kidding me? Any help will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Were the brakes pulling before you changed the CArb and intake?

Try spraying some starting fluid around the intake seals, and near the base of the carb.

(Don't do this yourself if you are new to this stuff)
If you get a reaction, you have a vacume leak.
Where is the antifreeze dripping from?

Did you install a new fuel linkage?
Is the distributor fully seated - did you change that too?

Just take it one thing at a time. ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
78 camaro. I had a new crate 350 put in it almost a year ago. 3 speed automatic and power brakes. No the brakes were fine before it was all put it and it pulls now. I cant tell where its comin from, when you raise the hood, it is ALL OVER the left side and cant tell anything. No i didnt put in new fuel linkage.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
White foamy liquid that looks like a milkshake is oil mixed with antifreeze. Sounds like you have an intake gasket problem. If you pull the dipstick or the oil fill cap on the valve cover and the oil is milky you have to get it out of the engine immediately and drain your antifreeze from the radiator. Antifreeze in the oil will will destroy your bearings.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Did you put the intake on yourself or was this a shop install? Either way I'll bet the intake bolts were not tightened in the proper sequence and/or torqued correctly...just a guess, but feels right

·
Registered
540 Posts
could be the bolts going into water jackets not sealed properley or no sealant used around the water jackets at the gasket. In any case you have water mixing with your oil and since the manifold was removed 100 to 1 thats were its at.definetly do not run it until you fix it or your going to have big problems.:(

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
I will also bet that the anti-freeze sprayed onto the brakes on one side which will make only the other side grab. Try getting brake clean and spraying the brakes. Timming is off and or bad wires or cap. That would be the ticking..spark jump. Fire it uop in the dark and watch the spark show.

Kev

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
tow the car to a shop and have them put the intake on correctly.
its obvious that you have a bad intake vacum leak and causes carb to backfire.
And intake gasket is probly leaking antifreeze into your oil and such.
mechanics arent made overnite
take her to a shop and have it done right.
I wouldnt drive it until its fixed due to the water in the oil issue can cause the bearings to fail.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
wasnt the car popping throught he carb when you had the 2 barrel???you said it burnt the top of the carb up...i think i told you then to look for a wiped cam lobe...you could have done that while the intake was off very easily, and now that the intake has to come off again, i suggest it again...lol...

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Wait a Minute? Did you time it correctly when you installed the manifold? I may have missed it but I read the whole thread...
and your brakes..it doesnt take much for the old drum brakes to act like you say they do. at 45 my car acts fine...at 80 it pulls VERY hard to the right...inspection showed no visible probs, however I adjusted my brakes anyway and prob went away...
Is your RAD cap in good working order? found out mine was popping open at about 6lbs...so I went and bought a 13lbs and havent spewed antifreeze yet...just a thought...

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
to me it sounds like a stuck caliper and timing is retarded....JMHO

1 - 20 of 23 Posts