Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove my car today, the fuel got low so i filled it up at a expensive gas station so i only put 87 in, is usually put 92 in, but it isn't a real high compression engine, then drove around and went to friends house, took off cap and rotor to compare to his lost one of the screws, used one of his but it was shorter, but it still worked, put it all back together and it started running really rough, kind of a real fast vibration, spark plugs look like it could be running rich. took apart carb, holley double pumper, replaced diagrphram, power valve, and gaskets, did this in case anything was messed up or there was dirt in the carb, have double checked everthing, can't figure it out, any ideas, i might just have to figure this out on my own, to many possiblilites. I have msd dist, box. tHANKS

·
Registered
172 Posts
There are lots of people here that know way more than me, but it really could be the change in octane. We got a bad tank of gas in my 79 & the spark knock was so bad Brian & I both thought we were about to lose the bottom end. I've never heard a noise like that before. We filled it back up with better gas & it smoothed right out.

The engine in the 79 came with the car, so I'm not sure of it's exact particulars. I'm sure it's just a stock 305 though.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I beleive you may have knocked something around while you had the dist. cap off.

I'd double check the timing, firing order and if all else fails, run an ohm meter accross the plug wires (you may have a bad one from kinking or bending something)
Keep us posted
John

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think its timing because the dist. is bolted down really good, i tried turning it btt couldn't also there are no vacuum leaks. I am going to try some fuel additive, octane booster and some 92 but i have a feeling it isn't the problem. the firing order is right i checked it.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured it out n 2 isn't getting any spark, the plug was totally wet, thought it was the wire, switched them and cleaned the plug off, then ran the motor, it wasn't the spark plug wire because the plug i switched it with was dry and number 2 was all wet again, any ideas, thinking about replacing cap and rotor but those msd are expensive any ideas?

·
Registered
205 Posts
any idea where that screw went?
could it have went down in the dist. and possibly damaged a tooth or somthing?

------------------
chris
1980 Z/28
350 .60 over stock bottom end world products torker2s 280H compcam edel.performer rpm,holly 750 dual feed.
2200 stall,- but still not done.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'll second looking for the screw in the dist. Esp stuck to the magnetic pickup.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figured it out! POPped the valve cover off and there it was a freshly snapped rocker stud on the intake valve. too bad its a press in stud. that was oil on the spark plug not gas, the intake wasn't opening making it run on 7 cylinders. Now to figure out how to pull the stud? any ideas

S

·
0 Posts
Several companies make a puller for that. Or, use a die to cut threads down to the casting. Then soak it with penetrating oil. Soak liberally. paitence pays off. Place two washers on stud, then tighten nut slowly to pull stud out. It will work @ 4 out of 5 times. When it works it's simple and cheap. When itdoesn't it probably would have broken no matter what kind of puller is used. Advise checking all studs. Bet at least two or more others are worn also.

------------------

67 Nemesix

1 - 10 of 10 Posts