Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the previous post of the check engine light and thought I would post mine in a new thread as to not hijack the the other discussion....

Our '97 RS with the 3800 V-6 engine had an issue with the light coming on 2 years ago. I borrowed a scanner and it indicated a miss fire on cylinder 6. A new set of plugs and wires cured that one.

Well, just last fall the light came back on. I borrowed the scanner again and it indiated multiple miss fires so I was assuming it may have been one or all of the coil packs. Since this was last fall I didn't do anything to the car since we don't drive it in the winter. Last week it came time for inspection and plates and during the inspection the mechanic found a hole in the muffler. I had them install a new OEM aftermarket muffle and the check engine light went out!
:hurray:

I am guessing the hole in the muffler may have caused a pressure issue that tripped the check engine light. I am don't know for sure but I am glad the light is of now.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
a new muffler did not make your check engine light go off, your car reset the light from the misfire after "3 driving cycles" it was just a coincidence

1 - 2 of 2 Posts