Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of yesterday, all that I had was stop lights, no park lights. I had one headlight, and so I just plugged it in, and pulled the switch. Nothing, no tail light lights either. I pull out my assembly manual, and begin studying it. I was able to get the tail light lights to fire up with the switch. I also tested the switch and made sure it too was working. The tailight plug is old and wasnt making contact with both lights. I was able to make them make contact and work. Now they are working. So I went to the front, thinking this is going to be easy as well. 1 ground wire is all that I show. I grounded it to the battery for right now. Pulled the switch and no fire to the headlights. I tested the plugs. So I back tracked down the wire loom up front. I tested a red wire on both sides right below the plugs, and it is hot. It connects, to the plugs. What am I missing? I also tested the fuse box with the switch pulled, and it shows I am getting fire to the headlights. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Trey.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ground strap on the headlight switch?
(commonly left dangleing and associated with headlight problems.)
needs a good ground and connected properly to the switch or else youll have all sorts of lighting issues.
I will look at that, the tail lights do light up when it is pulled.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Check the ground on both sides of the rad support (left and right) there should be a ground wire for each headlight. Make sure its clean and use star washer to ensure a good ground.

·
Super Moderator
32,447 Posts
As said by others here, check the grounds. You can also measure voltage at the light socket from the rear, back probe it and check to ground.

If you have battery voltage on the ground wire referenced to neg battery post, ground wire is not making a good connection.

Also check the dimmer switch on the floorboard. it may be stuck in between the two positions.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
I'm confused about the "1 ground wire" comment...? Do you have a good chassis ground connected to the battery? If you just connected a ground to the battery, and everything else is grounded through the chassis...you'll have problems for sure.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Don't forget to check the reverse ground for the highbeams switch. Trickiest part of troubleshooting any "headlights don't work" issue.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car had no wiring in it when we got it, minus the under the dash. My dad just bought a harness, and I have no clue what is there and what isnt. Some wires are cut and I have no clue, what they went to. My headlight sockets are there, and 1 ground. Hopefully saturday, I can start on it again. The car is getting the brakes worked on today, and I worked 14 hrs yesterday, and I am about to leave to go to work again. Does anyone have a wiring diagram that isnt confusing?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts