Team Camaro Tech banner

221 - 240 of 246 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
We cleaned out the driver inner and outer well fragments and loosely fit wells. They look to fit quite nicely.
I do have question though. Do the quarters go on first and then the wells? I don’t quite know how we will weld in the lower forward section of the quarter with the wells installed.

I am just not sure they can be inserted after the quarter is installed.

·
Premium Member
5,125 Posts
Wheel housings then quarters. Forward section is plug welded to rocker from inside the car. Takes some acrobatics but it can be done. Test fit everything before welding anything.

Don

Reactions: 350sshugger

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
We cleaned out the driver inner and outer well fragments and loosely fit wells. They look to fit quite nicely.
I do have question though. Do the quarters go on first and then the wells? I don’t quite know how we will weld in the lower forward section of the quarter with the wells installed.

I am just not sure they can be inserted after the quarter is installed.

View attachment 274387 View attachment 274388 View attachment 274389 View attachment 274390

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
Wheel housings then quarters. Forward section is plug welded to rocker from inside the car. Takes some acrobatics but it can be done. Test fit everything before welding anything.

Don
Thanks Dan! I think we will need to fit the quarters on then before we weld in the wheel wells. Just to make sure the lips align.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I've done this numerous times and you may find the outer wheel wells do not fit the quarters and will hinder alignment. I have had to slice the outers.

Welding the quarter to the rocker is a piece of cake. Just stick your head in there and let it rip. If you learn how to blind weld it makes it easier. Just weld by sound and distance. We often just took the shield out of our helmets to weld certain areas when the helmet would not fit.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
I've done this numerous times and you may find the outer wheel wells do not fit the quarters and will hinder alignment. I have had to slice the outers.

Welding the quarter to the rocker is a piece of cake. Just stick your head in there and let it rip. If you learn how to blind weld it makes it easier. Just weld by sound and distance. We often just took the shield out of our helmets to weld certain areas when the helmet would not fit.
some very good advice. Hopefully the lips align. Slicing the outer well is great advice. As is helmet lense.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
Katie welded in the floor today. We spent so much time verifying the floor location and finally got it just right. The seat pans align to the weld points on the inner rocker. Frame rails butt up to the floor and tail panel.
It took several fitment and adjustments to get it right.

I bought Katie a lighter vest for welding and it worked perfectly....best $20 buck investment.

Katie had to squeeze in under the jig. But, she did it with no issue. Here are some pics.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
Well....we cleaned up the tail pan just to find a badly welded gash right across the trunk lock cavity. It is beyond my skill to remold.

So, we are going to replace the tail panel dead last. This pic does not show that damage. I just think it will be easier to replace the entire panel than try to fix all the dings and damage.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
We did a final fit of the frame rails to trunk pan. We already had it very close from fitment on the car. This was required to snug the frame rails to the pan and fit the tail panel valence to the rails and floor pan.

We have marked all the weld points and will drill out the final holes tomorrow.

Then we will put it in the car, screw it in and weld it up.

·
Premium Member
5,125 Posts
I can see a half dozen mud worms on the lower driver side too.

Don

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
Keith, If you're going to replace the tail panel stay away from OER. I tried 2 from them and ended up a CHL brand. Difference was night and day.
What is CHL brand? I really only need the area around the key lock cavity replaced. If I have that, I can fix the existing tail panel. I usually buy AMD sheet metal.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,690 Posts
What is CHL brand? I really only need the area around the key lock cavity replaced. If I have that, I can fix the existing tail panel. I usually buy AMD sheet metal.
CHL is a Taiwan sheet metal manufacturer. I purchased mine from Bob Brisse when he had his business Belair Bob's. I also used AMD parts just not for the tail panel. It may be fine but I have no experience with it. Bob is a member here (BelAirBob). Rick (the owner) at NPD would be a good contact for sheet metal info also. It's my understanding the repop tail panels are not an exact copy of the original GM panels in the area you need. So if you want to patch yours I would suggest finding an assembly line panel to use. Here's is Scott's thread comparing AMD and GM tail panels.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
I bought the AMD tail panel. It will go on last. So, we can determine whether we patch the original or use the new one after I compare them.

The blog matches what my references have told me. I think we will be good. I appreciate the heads up about the contour differences.

my daughter also just bought all the AMK master kits for her car. That will allow us to bolt up the entire front clip for gaps soon.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
The. AMD tailpanel in the thread Al posted I used many years ago and was pleased. A couple years ago I bought another AMD tailpanel and rejected it. I used. a CHL. panel instead. There are no constants in this business. It is easier to replace the entire panel than patching in the center section around the trunk lock.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
Question! Since we replaced the floor, cowl, toe boards we need to seal up the seams. This particular seam sealer is black and pliable like butyl.
What was it called? Is there a replacement? Is there a better alternative?

I don’t think the 3M product I use on the firewall, roof, filler panel, quarters.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,690 Posts
Keith, A non-hardening sealer is what you need. SEM has both 2K and 1K black seam sealers that will work fine. I used Transtar 4162 1K on mine with no problems. No need to use expensive 3M products. If you look at pics from original cars you'll see the coverage widely varied. Read the tech sheets. Some products require bare metal only application.

221 - 240 of 246 Posts