Team Camaro Tech banner

241 - 246 of 246 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
Keith, A non-hardening sealer is what you need. SEM has both 2K and 1K black seam sealers that will work fine. I used Transtar 4162 1K on mine with no problems. No need to use expensive 3M products. If you look at pics from original cars you'll see the coverage widely varied. Read the tech sheets. Some products require bare metal only application.
I will look up what you have recommended. I would like something that can be applied over sealer or primer.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
We got the rear wells ready for welding tomorrow. We already fit them to the car.

I post pics tomorrow. Hopefully, we will finish welding the trunk in as well.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
I just read through your build thread for the first time. All I can say is "WOW!". What a lot of work. I am soooo impressed with your daughter.This car will stay in the family forever. Congrats on a great job as a father.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I used U-pol Tiger Seal on mine. Really liked it, it was gray in color. They might have other colors available too.

I also used a tube of SEM, but it was ’stringy’ and more difficult to work with than the Tiger Seal. Both were 1k products FOR
Probably a bad tube which is unusual. I've used SEM 1 and 2K for years and never encountered it being stringy. Also used Tiger Seal but primarily use. SEM 2K products depending on sealer location.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
Katie welded the inner and outer wells together today. I got them aligned and clamped them together.

I did show her how you had to work them together to get a good fit and ensure the fit into the well areas correctly.

She really did a terrific job drilling the weld holes, sealing up the areas to be joined and plug welded both like on a production line.

We will get to the final frame rail and trunk welds tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
Katie got out there and welded the trunk pan into the frame rails.

we went around the body 1 more time to verify that the jig height to all body locations were equal. They were.

she also ground down the welds on the well assemblies and sealed them.

She needs to weld the frame rail to floor and floor to trunk pan this weekend.

241 - 246 of 246 Posts