Team Camaro Tech banner
401 - 420 of 439 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Looks good.

Hopefully I’ll be starting a similar project soon with my 2 youngest daughters. Middle one (21) took a welding class a while back and wants to help with my projects, and my youngest (13) has laid claim to the 67 Camaro in the barn……..

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #404 ·
Looks good.

Hopefully I’ll be starting a similar project soon with my 2 youngest daughters. Middle one (21) took a welding class a while back and wants to help with my projects, and my youngest (13) has laid claim to the 67 Camaro in the barn……..
You won’t regret it. Time of my life doing this with my daughter.

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #411 ·
Well, after stripping the skin on the passenger door, we found a bunch of pin holes. No sense in trying to repair the skin. So, we pulled off the skin and will get the inside of the passenger door sand blasted and order a new passenger side skin.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #412 · (Edited)
We began the work required to reassemble the door by encapsulating the inside, applying some metal to metal over welds and sealing/painting the new door skin. Katie finally sealed portions of the underbody as well.
Motor vehicle Hood Combat vehicle Bumper Automotive design
Grille Hood Automotive tire Light Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #413 ·
Well, the original deck lid has rust in a few spots near the forward lip. I peeled back the lip, soaked it in acid and removed the rott.

I can fix it but am not confident I can keep the rust between the 2 skins from coming back.

do We even bother? Or should we get a new AMD lid. I will post pics of the damaged area.

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
Reactions: bill3337 and Sosh67

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Well, the original deck lid has rust in a few spots near the forward lip. I peeled back the lip, soaked it in acid and removed the rott.

I can fix it but am not confident I can keep the rust between the 2 skins from coming back.

do We even bother? Or should we get a new AMD lid. I will post pics of the damaged area.
If it's an original lid, I'd keep it and fix it. I had some rust between the inner and outer panels on my SS hood, so drilled out all the spot welds, split the two apart, epoxied both sides and put it back together.

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
Removing the skin from a decklid intact can be tough because it is crimped all the way around. Worth a try if you are going to replace it anyway.
Don

·
Registered
8,480 Posts
Door shells twist after removing a skin. I install skins lightly hemmed with perfect GM hinges. Rack them to fit and then tack weld the hems. Do not know a pro who does not do this. Blasting hinges introduces dust in the bushings. All my hinges get shipped to Willie. Not worth my time to do them. Especially 67 hinges. Got enough to do running a shop.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #420 ·
Y
I assume you fit the trunk lid with the quarters, filler panel and tail panel so I would try to fix the lid. Like Don said it's worth a shot anyway. Post a pic to give us an idea how bad it is.
Yes, we did us it when we fit all the panels. Here’s are the areas I had to remove. If it’s worth saving, I was thinking of putting acid into the deck lid and let it build up a phosphate coat. Then slosh around encapsulator. All this would be done after welding.
Automotive tire Wood Road surface Bumper Motor vehicle

Atmosphere Water Cloud Road surface Wood

401 - 420 of 439 Posts