Team Camaro Tech banner
421 - 439 of 439 Posts

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #421 ·
Door shells twist after removing a skin. I install skins lightly hemmed with perfect GM hinges. Rack them to fit and then tack weld the hems. Do not know a pro who does not do this. Blasting hinges introduces dust in the bushings. All my hinges get shipped to Willie. Not worth my time to do them. Especially 67 hinges. Got enough to do running a shop.
Rack them to fit? You mean install them? So, hem them, then fit them with rebuilt hinges. And adjust and tack after inspecting gaps? Good advice. We will hem them and then install them to check fitment.

Have contact info for Willie?

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #422 ·
A question on interior paint. Katie’s car is an original marina blue car with deluxe bright blue interior. I took a piece of the interior to a paint shop and they scanned it and said it matched up to a metallic blue.

Is the interior paint metallic as well? I thought it was a solid color. They gave me both a metallic single stage and Solid single stage to test with. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #424 ·
Katie sealed up the inner door panels as well as the passenger door skin.

The new tail panel from ADM had a big dent in it. So, it’s going back.
Wood Road surface Asphalt Flooring Floor

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Plant Gas

Tire Hood Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

·
Registered
8,480 Posts
Rack them to fit? You mean install them? So, hem them, then fit them with rebuilt hinges. And adjust and tack after inspecting gaps? Good advice. We will hem them and then install them to check fitment.

Have contact info for Willie?
Hem them but don't hammer them home. Even if you do you will see how much the change when twisted or lifted or pushed down on the back. Get them where you want then tack weld the hems just like the factory did. Tack them on the car and then finish off the car. It's all self explanatory once you get into it. I posted pics of willies hinges many times on this site. In fact... The same 67 hinge he did for me is on his site. Lost track of of many he has done for me on all makes and models.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Years ago when I did a write up on AMD parts their tailpanel was great. Years later when I bought another one it sucked and I returned it. Have no idea if they resolved the issue.
Didn’t we used to have a sub forum where parts were compared? I remember someone did a comparison of two full floor pans and showed the differences between manufacturers.
I was active here until around 2007, when I went back overseas, but a lot has changed in the newer version of the forum.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #432 ·
Put the passenger door on with rebuilt shims. That new door skin produces bigger gaps between the quarter and door. The door to rocker is actually better.

So, I fabricated some steel rod and Katie welded it to the door skin. The gap is now 3/16.

The alignment of the forward rocker edge and door is correct. The door closes correctly and does not interfere with the quarter edge molding.

Katie finished cleaning up the firewall as well.
Arm Sleeve Waist Elbow Chest

Shorts Automotive lighting Hood Leg Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
We are thinking we might use this dented repop deck lid to repair the original.
My AMD deck lid was not shaped correctly. Many others have reported the same problems with AMD lids. They are low in the upper corners at the quarter panel area. They are high in the middle next to the deck filler panel.

I cut pieces out of the AMD deck lid to repair the rusted spots on my original decklid.

Automotive tail & brake light Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Synthetic rubber

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #434 ·
I did notice this when fitting the dented AMD lid. I thought it was due to the dent though. We have the option to repair the original.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
The window felt slots can be punched wrong. The two photos below show the slots punched at different heights. That little bit of variance makes a big difference how the window felt fits.

Hood Automotive tire Grey Clock Automotive exterior

Hood Clock Gas Bumper Automotive design

Are you going to use reproduction glass? My reproduction door glass did not have a pronounced curve like the original glass. I had to cut the top of the door and move the felt closer to the glass.

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive wheel system Gas

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Miss Katie, you might be able to bend the door skin and the frame just a little to make the felt fit close to the reproduction glass before you weld the skin in place.

421 - 439 of 439 Posts