Team Camaro Tech banner
581 - 600 of 617 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
Application technique of body filler greatly reduces labor. Long smooth horizontal controlled strokes. Almost like painting or a pro drywall tech. Spotty application is a waste of t&m. I don't use Bondo. That's a Wal-Mart product. Have fun. Quality body filler is easy to apply and sand. Rage Gold is old tech. Rage Ultra is much easier.

Not sure why you did not apply filler over epoxy, get it straight and then apply primer. Standard industry practice. Wasted time and materials. I can swipe an entire quarter panel with body filler easily. But I've been doing this for decades.

Ditch that tiny pallet and use the biggest one you can. I use a piece of aluminum and clean it after each use. If you do get some residue just grind it smooth. Clean your spreaders with l thinner or w&g remover while the filler is still soft. Sounds elementary but makes doing this as a profession easier.
Dress shirt Tie Beard Event Screenshot

Reactions: srode

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #582 ·
Application technique of body filler greatly reduces labor. Long smooth horizontal controlled strokes. Almost like painting or a pro drywall tech. Spotty application is a waste of t&m. I don't use Bondo. That's a Wal-Mart product. Have fun. Quality body filler is easy to apply and sand. Rage Gold is old tech. Rage Ultra is much easier.

Not sure why you did not apply filler over epoxy, get it straight and then apply primer. Standard industry practice. Wasted time and materials. I can swipe an entire quarter panel with body filler easily. But I've been doing this for decades.

Ditch that tiny pallet and use the biggest one you can. I use a piece of aluminum and clean it after each use. If you do get some residue just grind it smooth. Clean your spreaders with l thinner or w&g remover while the filler is still soft. Sounds elementary but makes doing this as a profession easier.
Appreciate the info on bondo type and application.

Regarding application over epoxy, the data sheet recommended applying over bare metal. I initially intended to apply over the sealer but refrained after reading the data sheet.

We really don’t have much left to do. But, I would like to know preferred bondo or fillers that are recommended to apply over epoxy. I would like to read up on that.

It’s funny that you mention the long even strokes. That’s what we ended up doing on the doors and certainly what we should have done on the fender. Honestly, it ha just been a few years since I last did this and took time to recall it.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #584 ·
Doors, fenders, hood and drivers side bondo completed. Nice feathered edges. I am very happy with the results. You can’t feel any uneven transitions.

My buddy that paints A/C and cars for a living could not find the locations on my other cars so I am pretty comfortable that we filled and blocked this adequately. High build primer will do the rest.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Gas Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior

Table Wood Automotive exterior Floor Asphalt

Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Tire

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
5,661 Posts
Keith, I'm not a pro but my hands down preferred body filler is 3M Platinum Marson. For me the workability is superior to anything else I've used and I've tried a number of brands. Sands extremely easy and very few pin holes if any. It can be used over primer/epoxy/e-coat. I learned of this product from Scott.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Keith, I'm not a pro but my hands down preferred body filler is 3M Platinum Marson. For me the workability is superior to anything else I've used and I've tried a number of brands. Sands extremely easy and very few pin holes if any. It can be used over primer/epoxy/e-coat. I learned of this product from Scott.
That was a long time ago. Ultra is my preferred filler.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #588 ·
We applied body filler over bare for decades without issues. Today a hobby person takes years to finish a project. That is why filler is applied over epoxy. Very simple. Act like you own a shop and call the tech line. I have a contact with a supplier and incorrect parts are shipped free of charge next day air freight. Easy if you dump endless amount of coin and maintain customer relations. Good luck and have fun.
That makes perfect sense. I’ll check with the paint shop next week and see what they recommend.

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
The dynamic duo doesn’t fool around. Great to follow along.

Don

Reactions: Sosh67

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just read this entire thread. I think that it's the coolest story ever! When my daughter was 15 we began to have difficulty communicating (I'm sure none of you other dads have been through that!). So, I bought a '68 Firebird and told her that she could have it when she was 16 if she would help restore it. Best decision I ever made. Many evenings were spent working and discussing life over that car. She loves old cars to this day!

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #597 ·
Just read this entire thread. I think that it's the coolest story ever! When my daughter was 15 we began to have difficulty communicating (I'm sure none of you other dads have been through that!). So, I bought a '68 Firebird and told her that she could have it when she was 16 if she would help restore it. Best decision I ever made. Many evenings were spent working and discussing life over that car. She loves old cars to this day!
We have those conversations every day. It has been a fantastic experience. Thanks for sharing your story as well.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
If you are using urethane to install your windshields stop priming the window channel beds. Read a tech sheet. Urethane is to be applied only over an epoxied channel or factory paint and definitely not hobby applied body color. I know this because it is my job and I deal with others in the industry who do this everyday. Call your local qualified glass guy or the urethane company.

581 - 600 of 617 Posts