Team Camaro Tech banner
601 - 617 of 617 Posts

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Seam sealer gets applied right before paint. Most can be painted immediately and I stock numerous brands. Read the tech sheet. You might have to scuff and prime if you wait too long.

The tailpanel seam below the bumper never got seam sealer from the factory. Plenty of reference at CRG. I've only had a few dozen survivors roll through my shop.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #603 ·
Seam sealer gets applied right before paint. Most can be painted immediately and I stock numerous brands. Read the tech sheet. You might have to scuff and prime if you wait too long.

The tailpanel seam below the bumper never got seam sealer from the factory. Plenty of reference at CRG. I've only had a few dozen survivors roll through my shop.
Appreciate the info regarding the tail panel. I should have remembered that since my other vehicles tail panels are original and unmolested.

The seal we applied there is so subtle it’s not worth changing.

I was planning on scuffing and priming over the seam sealer as we have to do this work sporadically as weather permits. All very good and pertinent info though. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #604 ·
I do need some help regarding the pillar drip rail.

I have never had these off a car I was restoring. They were off this car when we got it.

There was a putty on the surface that had a butyl texture to it. Similar to what was used on the doors to keep the wax paper in place.

Anyone ever install these? Should we just glue them on? Should we paint the surfaces first?

here is a pic of one:
Musical instrument accessory Font Slope Rectangle Electric blue

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
I don’t know if this was how it was done originally, but when I got my car they were held on by seam sealer applied to the backside. There was a little bit of butyl putty in the top corner where the window seal channel and everything comes together. If I remember correctly, there’s some screws that hood them in as well. Mine were primed off the car and installed for final paint.

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
Several strips of 3M strip caulk would work. Not “correct” but an adequate solution.

Don

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #607 ·
I don’t know if this was how it was done originally, but when I got my car they were held on by seam sealer applied to the backside. There was a little bit of butyl putty in the top corner where the window seal channel and everything comes together. If I remember correctly, there’s some screws that hood them in as well. Mine were primed off the car and installed for final paint.
I did inspect the 2 panels and they still had that tan non hardening sealer on them. I was curious on how to apply it. Evenly, along the entire surface? Or just around the edge and holes.

It appears to have been applied unevenly and sporadically along the entire surface.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
I did inspect the 2 panels and they still had that tan non hardening sealer on them. I was curious on how to apply it. Evenly, along the entire surface? Or just around the edge and holes.

It appears to have been applied unevenly and sporadically along the entire surface.
Yes exactly. Like Scott mentioned it was definitely non-hardening and mine was also tan in color. If it was indeed the original install yet when I got it, then they still were held on very well after 45 years. It did appear to me that the install was just a “squirt and slap”. I personally would apply evenly just because I wouldn’t be able to help myself 🙂.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #609 ·
Yes exactly. Like Scott mentioned it was definitely non-hardening and mine was also tan in color. If it was indeed the original install yet when I got it, then they still were held on very well after 45 years. It did appear to me that the install was just a “squirt and slap”. I personally would apply evenly just because I wouldn’t be able to help myself 🙂.
I took a few pics of the panels before I had them cleaned. The side that faces the pillar was only sealed in black. The other side was painted. From the overspray, it appears they were painted on the car. You can still see the original Marina blue overspray at the bottom edge that faces the pillar but overhangs it.

[/QUOTE]
White Green Blue Gas Electrical wiring

Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Wood stain Gas

Road surface Wood Rectangle Tire Line

Green Wood Gas Electrical wiring Wire

Azure Water Wood Grass Automotive tire

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I took a few pics of the panels before I had them cleaned. The side that faces the pillar was only sealed in black. The other side was painted. From the overspray, it appears they were painted on the car. You can still see the original Marina blue overspray at the bottom edge that faces the pillar but overhangs it.
View attachment 298505
View attachment 298503
View attachment 298502
View attachment 298506
View attachment 298504
[/QUOTE]
I've only done dozens of these cars and scrapped many. One is going to the boneyard soon. Yes...on a non vinyl top car that is how they were installed and painted.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #613 ·
Next question! The pillar drip molding has 6 holes. Well, 5 1/2 actually. 3 1/2 big holes and 2 small ones.

The 2 small ones go over indents on the pillar. I believe the3 1/2 big holes line up with the window weatherstrip trim. What screws go into those 2 holes?

I marked the holes in the pic.
Wood Paint Art Gas Recreation

·
Premium Member
1967 Camaro SS 350
564 Posts
Such amazing progress! Looking good!

Derek

Reactions: Sosh67

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
You block primer with 180 after after the panels are straight as possible; then shoot a final coat before final sanding , prep and paint. Blocking with 320 achieves nothing. Just makes a panel smoother. Every black car I did was lazer straight with 180 blocking. Nothing worse that using primer after pouring it on to fill low spots. If using CRE you can get away with a little but most do not have access to it like I do. Did you test fit the u-jamb seals and window felts? I do it all the time and need to often modify the slots.

601 - 617 of 617 Posts