Team Camaro Tech banner
661 - 680 of 680 Posts

· Premium Member
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #661 · (Edited)
Katie shot the hood today. I coached her on holding the gun perpendicular to the hood.

She spent a lot of time ensuring the base coat was clean and tiger stripe free.

I did have to adjust the air pressure to the gun. It was at 30. I brought it down to 16 psi, increased the material a hair and showed Katie how this Iwata gun wants to be 4 to 6 inches from the surface.

We (Katie) cleaned the booth surfaces of paint dust before we got started. I’ll add pictures of the clear coating results in a few.
Blue Helmet Asphalt Roof Slope

Helmet Gas Window Composite material Rope

Slope Leisure Roof Helmet Electric blue

Hood Helmet Sleeve Safety glove Workwear
Hood Wood Rectangle Automotive exterior Bumper

· Registered
448 Posts
Paint looks great, kudos to your daughter!

Good luck on the recovery. Beware of the secondary stuff, friend of mine had surgery like that, he started to sit/stand a little funny because of the surgery pain, and that ended up tweaking the muscles in his neck which ended up being worse than the original surgery pain. Take it slow, heal up right!

· Registered
1,659 Posts
Katie shot the hood today. I coached her on holding the gun perpendicular to the hood.

She spent a lot of time ensuring the base coat was clean and tiger stripe free.

I did have to adjust the air pressure to the gun. It was at 30. I brought it down to 16 psi, increased the material a hair and showed Katie how this Iwata gun wants to be 4 to 6 inches from the surface.

We (Katie) cleaned the booth surfaces of paint dust before we got started. I’ll add pictures of the clear coating results in a few.
View attachment 300852
View attachment 300854
View attachment 300855
View attachment 300853 View attachment 300858
That's fantastic!! Great job!! Interestingly enough, the last picture of the hood, on the corner closest to the camera is dead on for 68 Teal Blue.

· Premium Member
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #665 · (Edited)
Paint looks great, kudos to your daughter!

Good luck on the recovery. Beware of the secondary stuff, friend of mine had surgery like that, he started to sit/stand a little funny because of the surgery pain, and that ended up tweaking the muscles in his neck which ended up being worse than the original surgery pain. Take it slow, heal up right!
Thanks for the info. The stomach pains from the stitches are nearly gone today. As is they very serious pains in my shoulder blade from the air. Feeling way better!

· Registered
482 Posts
Thanks for the info. The stomach pains from the stitches are nearly gone today. As is they very serious pains in my shoulder blade from the air. Feeling way better!
Don’t overdo it. 3 years ago, I had emergency surgery to remove an inflamed gall bladder. Originally thought i pulled a muscle in my back on afternoon, and by next morning, I was blacking out from pain.
They cut a 4&1/2” cut in my chest and doc said he had to mash it to get it out without cutting more. Largest one he had ever seen without rupturing.
Worse pain I’ve ever had, and I’ve been shot, cut, broken back, arms, and few other boo boos.

Again, don’t get in a rush, as you need to heal internally, as well as externally

Glad to hear that you are ok.

· Registered
Camaro 1968, going along with a propane powered BPE 383 ci, T56, Eaton Posi 4.10:1, MCB Big Brakes
1,499 Posts
Thanks so much for following the blog. It was just bad luck with having the surgery the week we knew would be getting good weather. I probably overdid it today and can certainly feel it. But, she is a quick study and I know she will knock out the rest of the panels to be shot in the Minnie booth with minimal help from me.

That surgery had a much harder recovery than I had expected. Air from the surgery made its way into my shoulder and was very painful and only subsided today.
I am also a silent follower of your blog here and wish you my best recovery ! This can be damn painful!

I am really stunned by the level of your skills to you both now with Kate able to do all tasks!! I was am and still am learning everything on my own so slowly... when I see what you both are doing , how well you are equiped with all right tools right methods, no shortcuts this is just amazing to me!!

I will continue to follow this build!!
Keep the good work and so strong relationship with your daughter and familly!!

· Premium Member
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #668 ·
I am also a silent follower of your blog here and wish you my best recovery ! This can be damn painful!

I am really stunned by the level of your skills to you both now with Kate able to do all tasks!! I was am and still am learning everything on my own so slowly... when I see what you both are doing , how well you are equiped with all right tools right methods, no shortcuts this is just amazing to me!!

I will continue to follow this build!!
Keep the good work and so strong relationship with your daughter and familly!!
Where in Germany do you live? I will be going to Munich later this year.

· Registered
843 Posts
Looking back over this thread there is only two things i would mention:
In post 462 where you welded the tabs in the door, this gap should be checked as you can spread it open or squeeze it closed a little to make the wing window fit better before welding the tabs, you could put the wing window in to test fit, in this thread Scott mentions the gap should be 1 1/6"
The other is in post 559 it doesn't appear the quarter stiffeners were put in, many cars out there without them but its cheap insurance against cracks in that area

· Premium Member
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #671 ·
In post 462 where you welded the tabs in the door, this gap should be checked as you can spread it open or squeeze it closed a little to make the wing window fit better before welding the tabs, you could put the wing window in to test fit, in this thread Scott mentions the gap should be 1 1/6"
The other is in post 559 it doesn't appear the quarter stiffeners were put in, many cars out there without them but its cheap insurance against cracks in that area
We finally installed them and only have to add the seam sealer.

· Premium Member
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #672 ·
We ensured the gaps we exactly as they originally were before removing the quarters. We measured and recorded the original values.

· Premium Member
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #673 ·
We applied sound deadener to both quarter from in the trunk and passenger compartment. I applied this as we only had 1 container left and I wanted to ensure we got complete coverage. I did let Katie try it as well and showed her how to use the gun, apply the material and clean the gun.

Katie and I worked together to finish applying the last locations requiring seam sealer.
Hood Aircraft Automotive tire Vehicle Aerospace manufacturer

Asphalt Road surface Composite material Gas Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Road surface Grey Asphalt Rectangle

Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Fin Bumper

· Registered
Camaro 1968, going along with a propane powered BPE 383 ci, T56, Eaton Posi 4.10:1, MCB Big Brakes
1,499 Posts
Where in Germany do you live? I will be going to Munich later this year.
It is the same flag color but the marking are horizontal for germany. This is Belgian flag. 600 km = ~ 400 miles from Munich. If you decide for the trip north you're welcome :)

· Registered
8,683 Posts
The key to painting a car in pieces is to use a real sprayout card. Apply the paint until full coverage is achieved. You do this by shutting off the lights in your booth and use a Sungun. If you do not own one it can be cheaply made. Make note of how many coats are required. This way if something happens to one of your panels you can simply paint that panel and it will match the adjacent panel with no blending required. Panels should be sprayed in the position they will be installed on the car. Done this countless times.

· Premium Member
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #679 ·
The key to painting a car in pieces is to use a real sprayout card. Apply the paint until full coverage is achieved. You do this by shutting off the lights in your booth and use a Sungun. If you do not own one it can be cheaply made. Make note of how many coats are required. This way if something happens to one of your panels you can simply paint that panel and it will match the adjacent panel with no blending required. Panels should be sprayed in the position they will be installed on the car. Done this countless times.
I’ll research that for sure. Thanks.

661 - 680 of 680 Posts