Team Camaro Tech banner

161 - 180 of 214 Posts

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Well, she got put there today and cleaned the light rust that had to be cleaned up before welding up the driver rocker. She spent hours cleaning off the rust, applying rust remover and sealing up the metal. We are ready to weld up the panels tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Welded in the quarter window patch. Did a final fitting of the outer rocker, door gaps and door to forward edge or rocker. All good. We will weld in the rocker today and begin cutting the cowl out.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Katie welded the driver rocker in today. She started with the quarter window patch to outer rocker, upper rocker and then lower.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Think of how much appreciation she will have for that car when it’s done. So cool to see a determined young lady making progress. Making me feel like a slacker not working on mine. Keep posting!

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Think of how much appreciation she will have for that car when it’s done. So cool to see a determined young lady making progress. Making me feel like a slacker not working on mine. Keep posting!
She is hoping to have cowl and dash in by the end of the week. I think we can have old one out and Nee one fitted. Pretty ambitious though. I like peeking out in the garage while she is working and snapping a few pics.

I’m out there with her but, some stuff only requires 1 person. So, she gets out there and does it.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Katie is installing the portion of the forward door jamb we took off to remove the outer rocker. I showed her how to tack it in little by little and get it aligned. She did a great job and is just grinding down the welds now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #169 (Edited)
Question.... we bought a new AMD lower and upper cowl. Both need repair around the window.

I think we should completely replace both panels.

My question is, what is the proper way to handle the trim tag?

Cut out the patch around the trim tag? Or, pop the rivets and put in new ones?

·
Registered
96 Posts
If it were me, I would cut around it and weld it in to the new panel. Only because i feel I could make it appear stock unless you seen in behind the cowl. I have read there are correct style rivets to purchase but not experienced in that area.

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
1,152 Posts
This question just came up a bit ago in another thread. I removed the VIN tag and riveted to the new dash. I purchased the correct rosette rivets and it looks factory after the dash was sprayed. I am having a VIN inspection done in a couple weeks so we will see. I do have the hidden VIN under the cowl to cross reference but I really doubt it will get to that. There is a lot of drama on the net about this but I chose to pick the "much ado about nothing" position.

I suppose if I had 30 Camaros all with questionable lineage and was mixing and matching it might become an issue but I severely doubt any DMV employee is going to know enough to drill down far enough to determine new or old. I just asked myself the question "what's the alternative"? Removing the VIN is removing the VIN and I've seen and read all the CFR references most of which refer to illegal activities or intent. Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
I think the OP is referring to the cowl tag, not the VIN tag. Cowl tags can be transferred without issue. Scott says the rivets can be pushed out and reused.

Don

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
I think the OP is referring to the cowl tag, not the VIN tag. Cowl tags can be transferred without issue. Scott says the rivets can be pushed out and reused.

Don

That is a great bit of advice. We will go that route. We will probably transfer the partial vin stamped into the cowl.

·
Premium Member
1967 Camaro SS 350
438 Posts
When my car was done. The trim tag was already off so I bought new supposedly correct rivets for it and put it on. I had the shop keep my cut out upper cowl and give it back to me with the partial VIN. So I have it hanging on my wall. My ordinal VIN plate was never removed from door jamb. So if you don’t want to section it in to the cowl just document it. That is what I did but I did not really have a choice.
Derek

·
Registered
7,754 Posts

Don
Correct. That's what I do. If not I just buy factory style rivets and apply the sealant over them in the countless ways as originals. Plenty of reference at CRG. Never understood why people drill the rivets out and butcher a trim tag.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Katie drilled out the welds and used a plasma cutter to remove the upper and lower cowl. It won’t take long to clean up the remnants of the cowl and clean up the firewall. Good progress.

We also measured the body at all location mounted to the jig to ensure everything is straight. I don’t know how anyone could work at this depth without a jig. I am sure we would not be square if we did not have the jig.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
If you haven't done so yet and it's not to late, brace from a-pillar to a-pillar. Learned from doing same thing on my vert. Ahh never mind. Thought you were doing a vert too. Floor and roof should be good enough

Scot

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
If you haven't done so yet and it's not to late, brace from a-pillar to a-pillar. Learned from doing same thing on my vert. Ahh never mind. Thought you were doing a vert too. Floor and roof should be good enough

Scot
I have a rod braced from door jamb to door jamb.

161 - 180 of 214 Posts