Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and I've tried adjusting them up, then down, bled system. It has new shoes, springs, wheel cylinders, drums. New drums were turned but I do notice that the one that squeels has turned kind of blue like it got hot at one point. Anyway, besides going to discs can anyone help me here? It is a 68 327 power drum car with all new parts. Pedal also seems very soft and get superfast stream of fluid out of driver front but only steady but not super fast stream out of other three bleeders. I know you guys like enough info. so I hope you have it. Thanks for helping.

·
Super Moderator
32,768 Posts
As far as brakes squealing and one drum blue, does signify its gotten hot.
Are the adjusters on the correct side, i.e., left-hand threaded adjuster on the driver side and right-hand threaded adjuster on the pass side?

If shoes are metalic lining, once hot, they get a 'set' to them and harden, hence, the squeal. You also might put some high-temp grease on the shoe contact points-to-backing plate points to lighten the sound.

Also, breaking in the shoes is important. Make a couple hard brake runs from 30 mph and let the brakes cool between application. This action may help.

Maybe others will give some good thoughts/opinions.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Everett but the adjusters are on right and the pads are not metallic. Maybe the wrong master cylinder is making the pedal soft and I don't know what I'll do about the screeching. Thanks though. Anyone else have an idea?

·
Super Moderator
32,768 Posts
You're welcome. Check the center pin on the metering block below the master cylinder. Check to see the pin has not moved to one side, as in one set of brakes may have had a large leak and the pin moved to the defective side to stop flow of fluid to the leak.

Do a search to find a pic of the pin relationship to the case. I believe the pin should be sticking out by 1/4 inch. If it is to one side, the brake light in the cluster will be on, same bulb shines when parking brake is on.

Since one wheel has good fluid, master cylinder is good. Might be some trash or restriction in the other lines, or still some air. Also, valve underneath the driver seat on the frame may be stuck and not allowing fluid to pass to rear wheels. This has been known to happen. A female inverted flare coupling can be substituted to bleed the rear.

Squealing from organic shoes does not necessaily mean the shoes are bad. They still may need to be broken in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts