Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not own a camaro. I'm a Ford guy but I'm looking to help my friend out with his 99 camaro ss with t tops. His only mods now are long tubes full all exhaust and a tune. He says he makes 400whp? It was a mail tune not a dyno tune. Anyways whats the limit on the stock bottom end whp wise? He wants to keep it reliable and not touch the bottom end what should his next mods be for about 500whp? I did ported heads and cams on my new edge mustang with pretty much full bolt ons minus long tubes and underwrite pulleys and I put a good whoopin on him. I make only 331whp on a step colder plug without spray. He wants a procharger pretty much. Any input is appreciated and does he really make 400whp with long tubes,map, exhaust and tune? If so why don't he win lol? He is a good driver also...

·
20,112 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
With LT's, 2-1/2" diameter duals with an X-pipe and dumped at the axle, MagnaFlow mufflers, smooth bellows, SLP lid and cut out bottom of box and surrounding area (more airflow) and a Dyno tune my 02 Z28 put down 343rwhp/357rwt on a Dynojet. Nothing was done internally. Bone stock dyno was 308rwhp/323rwt. I was just about to cam it (I had purchased an MS3 cam and kit - .603/.609 lift with 237/242 duration - biggest you can go without fly cutting the pistons) when I moved back to Cali and had to press her back into DD service so put it all back to stock due to Cali's Nazi-like smog laws.

Along with other items (tires, stall TC, modded tranny, SFC's, adjustable torque arm, etc) the end result was consistent 1.7x 60' times and a 12.5x @ 109+ in the 1/4 mile. This was at Firebired Raceway in Phoenix with a DA of 3500+ so figure faster at sea level.

I raced that car every weekend the track was open for 5-6 years without any problem from the engine. The weak kneed rear axle on the other hand *sigh* I never should have modded in the 1st place. I broke gears (or welded pinions to bearings) 3 times...

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
I do not own a camaro. I'm a Ford guy but I'm looking to help my friend out with his 99 camaro ss with t tops. His only mods now are long tubes full all exhaust and a tune. He says he makes 400whp?
He left out the "f" in front of whp. And that's being generous with a mail order tune.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's fwhp? No my friend said he makes 400ish whp. But never had it dynod. And why can I beat him on motor alone when I only make 287whp on motor on a dynojet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He runs race gas all the time and beats the piss outta that thing last week his driveshaft dropped to the ground. He had no more Ford jokes for me after that one haha.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I had a 2000 SS with longtubes , mailorder tune and a couple other mods and made 320 rwhp through an AT. No way he's making 400 rwhp but if he has a manual trans then it's probably around 325-340 rwhp.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
What's fwhp?
Flywheel horsepower.

He has read too many forums about how you can get a 400hp LS1 with longtubes, exhaust, air lid, and a perfect tune.....and you can, but at the flywheel.....and is confused. "But never had it dynoed." Well there you go.

You yourself seem to have lost hp between posts. 331hp one day and 287hp the next. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
He runs race gas all the time and beats the piss outta that thing last week his driveshaft dropped to the ground. He had no more Ford jokes for me after that one haha.
Truth be told if you run race gas and don't retune (reflash the PCM with different timing tables, etc) to take advantage of it then you're wasting your $$$...

·
Registered
913 Posts
Post comes off more like a Ford troll boy trying to stir Chevy v/s Ford with the "why I beat him" talk and no more Ford jokes after that etc.

Also seems like you and your boy has watch one to many episodes of Street Outlaws. Call Big Chief and have him come over with his laptop for you and dile in yer tune.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts