Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been pouring over the old posts and reading MAD electric's web site and I am not finding what I need. I upgraded my alt. to an internally regulated "Si" and I used a "conversion kit" from D&R that you simply plug into the the exsisting wireing. Once the enging starts the gen. light comes on. It gets brighter and flickers at times but it stays on. I checked it with a volt meter and it seems to be charging just fine. I read something about rewiring the bulb (???). I looked at the assembly manual and am confused. I am sure the alt is good and functioning as I wish but there has to be some reason the light stays on. Suggestions?? comments?? I have serveral wire "gremlins" that I am slowly getting straighted out -this one has me pulling my hair out!!
Thanks in advance!!

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Not sure if your problem is the same problem as I had but...when my camaro did this I took the wireing harness out where the warning bulbs are and cleaned all the contacts. Problem fixed. They use a series type wiring so any type of poor connection can simulate a "load" and cause a light to come on.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I vote for a bad diode trio. There is a small integrated circuit looking device inside the internaly regulated alternator that has no function except for to light the bulb if the alternator is not working. The bulb will glow if one of the diodes (diode trio) is popped even if the alternator is charging correctly.

You can check it out fairly easily if you can get the alternator apart. It has 3 sheet metal connections inside where it hooks up to the 3 field windings. Unscrew the nuts and pop it out. You can test it with an ohm meter. The juice runs only one way if the diodes are good.

That would be my guess.

-Mark.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I will open up the alt and check the diod trio. I have rebuilt a number of alternators over the years but since I converted from external to internally regulated I thought I may have a wiring problem. The alt I installed is a reman but SHOULD have had the trio replaced. I was just wondering if would matter if I just removed the bulb!

Thanks for the replies!!! I will try and get back with whatever I find.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
The diode trio also provides primary excitation for the internal voltage regulator. That's the EE way of saying it turns on the voltage regulator as well as turning out the idiot light!! :D

[ 06-02-2004, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: PDQUICK ]

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by PDQUICK:
The diode trio also provides primary excitation for the internal voltage regulator. That's the EE way of saying it turns on the voltage regulator as well as turning out the idiot light!! :D
I thought the diode trio was used as part of the alternating to direct current rectification process. Guess that is the sole purpose of the rectifier bridge??!! Been too long since tech school!! I remember that when a car came in with the GEN light on it was usually a bad diode trio or a bad diode in the rectifier bridge. This is a brand new (reman) alt that I got. It is a 94 amp for a caprice (I think) and the light has been on since I installed it and the "conversion kit". I was just wondering if the circuit for an intrenally regulated as opposed to an externally regulated GEN light was the same?? I have read where people have installed resistors in line with the bulb??? what does that do?? Read one where the bulb was rewired?? What will happen if I just remove the bulb?? It seems to be charging -hasn't left me stranded or failed to start -I don't have any way to measure the amps output (no carbon pile) but the volts read good and my electric fan spins great. -It is just annoying to know the bulb is there and may or may NOT be functioning as it should! -Thanks everyone!!!

·
Registered
594 Posts
You may not have a problem. I think it is normal for the generator light to stay on when switching from an externally regulated alternator to an internal one. My light has been on for about 6000 miles. I havn't had any problems. I made a harness to get the light to go out, but then my gas gage stopped working, so I removed the harness and am living with the light. Good Luck Kevin

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, just for the heck of it I tore down my alt. last night and sure enough -one of the diodes in the trio is bad. I will try and get a new one today and get it reinstalled. Thanks agian!!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just thought I would update this. It is always nice to know how a problem came out. I went to the parts store and got a new diode trio (story of it's own there!!), took it home and put the alt back together -problem solved! It was a bad trio in a NEW (reamn) alt.!! Thanks all!!

·
Registered
594 Posts
That's intresting! You never know anymore what you're going to get when you buy parts. Glad it's working. Kevin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts