Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i just purchased a new OER tach and it will not go up in the revs like the engine.

Car as a MSd 6al with a msd tach adapter

I had a OER tach previously installed and was running fine until my voltage regulator went nuts and sent too much voltage and fried a whole bunch of components.

I temporarilly installed a auto meter and the auto meter was fine.

is there something that needs adjustment.

i see from searches that a member by the username jimm as instructions to fabricate a filter , it seems the instructions have been removed from the archives.

any help would be appreciated

thanks

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Maybe the tach is one of the (other) things that got fried? The other tach works... I only glossed over the 6AL instructions, but isn't there another wire to try? Yellow???

·
Registered
367 Posts
my OER tach doesn't keep up with WOT acceleration either but other times it's fairly accurate. I just figured the old style tachs can't keep up. is this normal or a problem?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my OER tach doesn't keep up with WOT acceleration either but other times it's fairly accurate. I just figured the old style tachs can't keep up. is this normal or a problem?

its the reason for my post
my first OER tach would keep up with my high revving 302.

now i install a second OER and it does not keep up going up in the revs.

wish i could re-install the first one, but its fried from a defective voltage regulator that sent 16v thru my car.

I have since replaced the charging system and temporarilly installed a auto meter tach to make sure wirring was fine fine.

So i can rule out wirring since the auto meter was operating perfectly.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i builth a filter just as in Jimm archives and still no luck, i guess i just have to live with a crappy tach.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
bummer! not cool! i haven't even really watched my tach as i rev my engine. mine's original/GM. but it makes me wonder...

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
It's the buffer circuitry. A lot of times if you have an aftermarket one with a rock steady needle they will not keep up with the signal.

A lot of guys who used to by the Cobra tach that fits on the motorcycle I have got it because the needle was so steady. Then they found out that in first gear when they hit the rev limiter at 5600 the tach was just passing through 4000. I got a bumpy one that reads correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts