Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1969 Camaro with a 396 engine and I converted it to power steering. Now the stock exhaust manifold on the driver side hits the new Saginaw gear box I installed the correct frame stands , motor mounts and there still isn't enough room for the manifold to hang on to the engine without hitting the gearbox. I'm ready to convert it back to manual steering Did GM make a smaller gear box just for big block applications with P/S ? and i did install the correct numbered Manifolds and the correct frame stands and Motor mounts and the frame stands are mounted on the correct sides short on the pass side tall on the drivers side and it still wont clear the gear box!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check that you have the correct power steering box. I just converted my 68(67-69 used the same sub-frame very minor differences) to power steering with headers and everything fit. If the headers fit I'm sure my exhaust manifolds will fit. I used a correct date coded steering box from a 68 Chevelle. The 68 Camaro/Chevelle boxes are the same externally.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased a brand new gearbox from Summit as a conversion kit Saginaw is the manufacture of the box. Are you saying that GM used a Chevelle gear box when they built BB Camero's with P/S?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gm used the same power steering external case(5691676 is the number on the outside of the box) across all GM lines, Chevy, Pontiac, Olds etc. They changed the internals depending the gear ratio and application of the box. There are other GM cases, but I think 5691676 is a very common case, they were even used on Jeeps and Blazers. I don't know what the aftermarket manufacturers are using.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well guess What i found out The reason i could not simply drop the driver side factory manifold in place and clear the power steering gear box is because you must first drop the gear box and pull the steering wheel out of the gearbox which means disconnecting the rag joint allowing the gear box to fall completely down and you must disassemble the steering column bracket under the dash and pull the steering column out of the rag joint then you can install the driver side manifold and then reverse the process. Of course the correct motor mounts and frame stands must be installed first and the correct big block transmission cross member. so spread the word i figured it out.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Glad you got it Bob. LOL, Try installing headers on a big block 4 speed car if you really want to test your patience!

Reactions: 57vette

·
Registered
263 Posts
Glad you figured it out. I was about to say that with my small block, I had to put the header in first and then install the box from the bottom. If I had the whole car on a lift, I might have been about to bring the header in from the bottom with the box in place but I don't have a lift. :)

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Glad you got it Bob. LOL, Try installing headers on a big block 4 speed car if you really want to test your patience!
I Agree with Matt !

Attachments

Reactions: Matt 69

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Yup, you get it Timmy! Lol!

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
808 Posts
Exactamundo Matt!

Timmy's headers are sweet, similar to Lemmons in concept. My Hooker Competitions came in the box with a slight dent where the pipe might kiss the PS box. You can just barely see the daylight space LOL. But they don't hit. And that's the '96 JGC steering box.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Reactions: french69ssrs

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Yes.....I’m sure it’s fun getting to the #5 and #7 spark plugs,lol! The joy of owning a first generation Camaro with a big block under the hood.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts