Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, been lurking here for a while but not really posting until now. As my name says I have a 1967 rs, that I just started tearing apart. It was originally a 327 car (don't have original now a 350) power glide, drum brakes etc. It was originally bought in So Cal, and spent most of its life there until it went to Missouri in the late 90's I believe. My dad bought it there and brought it to WI, he only had it about a year when he died and I bought it to settle the estate. Car seems to be really solid and pretty straight, so not a lot of body work to be done, but it is a little rusty under the vinyl top. I have a lot of plans and more time than money!! Here is what I plan to do with the car:
Tremec 6-speed (Kessler)
9 inch with 3.73 gears (Currie)
4 wheels of disc brakes
I have not decided on motor yet I might rebuild the one I have or buy a crate motor? I would like 400-450 hp
lowered 1.5"
17" center line wheels
color-Sterling gray with a black bumble bee
before I started 2 weaks ago:

Here is what it looks like currently

The car is going to the body shop next week to get the roof fixed and sealed up because of a little rust before all the temp. changes that come with a WI winter. When it gets back from there I am replacing the drive train and doing all the mechanicals. I am also painting the bottom of the car and the engine bay. Then it goes back to the body shop to have the interior and exterior media blasted and painted. My time frame is 3 years but hopfully I can have it done sooner! I have never restored a car before so I will be leaning on you guys a little bit, and giving little advice based on my experience. Looking forward to this:beers:
Please feel free to comment or question any of my plans:thumbsup:!

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,456 Posts
Looks great! very solid

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to Team Camaro,looks like your on the right path.Hows the engine compartment are you going for a stock apearing engine bay.Har are you taking it apart are you removing the front clip and subframe...
I would like the engine bay to have a clean look very minimal, I was actually thinking of putting manual brakes and steering in! Since I am on some what of a budget (at least my wife says I am) and what I have works I have decided against this.

I plan on taking the whole front of the car apart, but not putting it back together! That reminds me that I need to mention that to the body guy next week to make sure that is alright with him! I want to keep him happy!

I have some head light (relay?) issues to work out and I think they would be easier to work on with the fenders and such off?!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make sure you get every detail straight with the bodyshop so there are no hidden costs.Is the shop going to do it at a set cost or by the hour.I think this will be your biggest expence make sure you get all your ducks in a row...
Agreed, he is doing it as a time and material job, he don't like bidding resorations because he said you never know what you will find which I understand. He has been pretty good about letting me do what I can and want to do myself. When he first looked at the car he shot me a ball park number. He recommended a rotisserie (he never climbed under it) and I never mentioned it was a southern car. After all the interior is out it I don't think it will be necessary?! I will be expecting a closer and lower estimate now that he can see the car naked.

He did a friend of mines 69 Mustang (same situation) and I have seen a few other cars that he has done and he does a really nice job, so at least I should not have to worry about that part!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Congrats on your venture. I am too in the process of restoring mine andThe best way to go is to make a decision and stick with it but I would not sweat it to much... I initially elected to have it painted with the clip-on but then went with the rotisserie. The beauty of it is that it is your project and your preferences.
It sounds like your car is solid whereby you won't have too much metal work so you can always change your mind down the road. If you decide initially to have it painted with the body on the frame, you can always change your decision after the sheet metal is done and before you send it to paint. If you then decide on a ground-up project, it should only take 4-5 hours to have them take the front-clip, rear suspension and remaining parts off.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Congrats Brian, where in Wisco are you?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just thought I give a little update! Well the I made a deal with the body shop so they are just keeping the car all winter and working on it as kinda of filler, this saves me a lot of money and I pay him cash if you know what I mean!

They got roof all patched up, the drip rails shaved, and the pillars extended for the flush mounted glass that I bought. Here are some pictures:

·
Registered
726 Posts
Greetings from Arizona
very nice project....word of wisdom..
take so many pictures before and after.. I always take like 30/50 pictures of everything and keep them handy when putting it back togather did that recently on 67 Elcamino I did complete drivetrain swap and they helped big time putting it back togather and it was only a month or so start to finish.
Also check your motor #'s You could have a #'d 350 block but it may have 327 crank thus 327... I have one from 69 Camaro that a friend thougt was not orginal motor and it was...
Jay

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well a little update to an old thread! We have had a little set in the financial portfolio, the wife is 8 months preggers with our first child. Luckily I had the car at the body shop before we found out with some cash down to make sure she could not put a "hold" on this early phase of the project. Here are are some a couple pictures of where its at now, probably gonna be about a year before any more money is spent, but at least it is "sealed up".

The top half of the car is the chip I had picked out, (Sterling Gray Metallic) the bottom of the car is flat black. I asked for the car to be all flat black, but the owner of the body shop went ahead and painted the top half so I could see the color. I like the color and I am glad he did this. Car is going to be repainted I just wanted to make sure it was sealed up for a couple years while I do the mechanical.

Whats done so far- Vinyl roof removed, door handles shaved, drip rails shaved, flush mounted glass, all emblem holes filled.

Whats next- 12 bolt, T-56, LQ4 or LQ9 swap, disc brakes

1 - 20 of 20 Posts