Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a call from a guy I know, he tells me that he has the ability to get the pop plate on my 67 rs convertable, and wants to work out some kind of a deal trading for a old Pontiac dealer service sign I have. He says he had a talk with the guy I bought the car from, and its a "one time only" deal for 500.00 dollars. So he offered to make the deal work by giving him the money and trading me out of the sign for it. I just let him know I really was not interested, I kind of felt it was extortion, and he was suprised when I gave him the name of the guy I bought the car from. He then said well he doesn't live at the same place anymore. I think it is kind of chickensh*t that he tried this on me, he is a friend.? Anyway the car is pretty well changed from stock, do you guys think the protecto plate would be worth the money if I had to pay it? I am not thinking straight right now and need the advice. I can tell you if I found a pop plate of one of his cars, I would just give him the number to the guy, or bring him over to let him try to work it out. :sad:

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Sorry to here Mike ,and you say he is a friend ???Wow none of my close friends which is 3 in number ,would ever do that ,and if they did it would be bye bye now ,se ya in another life ....And to answer if it worth getting ,do you have all the stock parts to put back on some day ?? maybe a Purest guy can answer that Q for you ,Good luck and Happy Motoring

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Doesn't sound like someone I'd call a friend either.

As "OBG" said, if you have all the origianl parts to put it back together, the p.o.p. could add value. But it also depends on what your car was to begin with. I have my p.o.p. but mine came out of Norwood with a 6cyl/pg combo and the only option was a console...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Oh yeah, if you have the name of the person that has your p.o.p, why not try to get in touch with him yourself? I'm sure you could locate him through a web search. That would really get your "friend" back good! :hurray:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Sounds like Zaba search time to me. :thumbsup:

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,623 Posts
my car is a plain jane, no where near stock, but if offered to me i would pay a few hunderd for it.
offer him $300 or he can keep a completely useless plate. and be $500 out of pocket.
just MHO

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Ha, Ha, Ha, I'd laugh at him, tell him that he's a jackass, that he could stick that POP where the sun don't shine and tell him get off the crack pipe.

That's the basic jist....maybe mix in a few more profanities....

P.S. Then when they come to realize that the POP is worthless to them and everyone else but slightly more than worthless to me, I'd offer to take it off their hands for pretty much nothing.

·
Retired
26,740 Posts
You guys are being kinda hard on Mike's friend. From what was said his friend can get the POP for $500, he doesn't have it! Maybe his friend is a jerk and can get the POP for free and is bs'n to get Mike's Pontiac sign but nothing has been stated to warrant anyone thinking so...

Let's put it in perspective, you just came across a POP to a car you sold some time ago. Someone says "I know the owner of that car, you want to get rid of that POP?"

What do you do?
A - give it away
B - keep it and start a collection
C - offer to sell it

Mike needs to contact the previous owner of his car and talk to him about the POP. That will tell him if his friend is a jerk or if the guy that has the POP just wants money for it...

·
Premium Member
2,902 Posts
Friends are not suppose to behave like that Mike, sounds like he needs a wallup! Remove him from the rolodex, hopefully that pop will find its way to you.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Let's put it in perspective, you just came across a POP to a car you sold some time ago. Someone says "I know the owner of that car, you want to get rid of that POP?"

What do you do?
A - give it away
B - keep it and start a collection
C - offer to sell it
I choose "A"....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
If it's a friend I'd tell him to put some steaks on the grill I've got a surprise for you.

If it was someone that bought an old car of mine and I just ran across it, and I knew how to get a hold of them I would ask for $10 to cover packaging and shipping cost, but that's about it because like was said it's not really worth anything to anyone else.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
...my initial reactions as well is, ...some friend.
But, ...as Dennis mentioned, we may not have all the facts.
Simple test, ...Mike to ask his friend to give him the contact info to the guy who (supposedly) has the POP. If he is indeed a "friend", ...he wouldn't hesitate a minute to help Mike out.
I'd do what I could to locate the prior owner in hopes of dealing directly. It's the principle of the matter here, ...as an example I came across a POP and some docs for a '67 not too long ago. Actually located the car and owner in CA (with the help of TC and CRG), ...for $50 it was sent, ...barely covering what I paid on Ebay and shipping. ...and the guy wasn't a friend of mine.

...again, it's the principle of the matter. As much as I would have wanted it (if in your shoes), ...I would have walked too...

...hopefully it will work out for ya'...

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
It is worth maybe $50 on eBay...otherwise it is worthless.

A decent person (even if not your friend) would call you up all excited and give it to you for free.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Reverse physcology , tell him you dont want it and it does you no good because your car isnt original anymore, price will come down drastically!!!!:thumbsup:

Better yet tell him you want $1000 for the sign and that way he owes you $500

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Mike, at least you know who your friends are now. :yes: Find the previous owner and ask him for the POP. Like was already said......it's near worthless to anybody else, but to the person whom owns the car. The guy might give it to you..... or you might offer him a few bucks for the POP. Don't appear desperate :)

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Your so called "friend' is more of an "opportunist".
I once told a so called "friend" about the whereabouts of a 69 Camaro that was in a garage. I entended to see the person selling the car that weekend and buy it. I was going to flip the car because the price was so cheap. My "friend" bought it and flip it.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Mike,
I think if your friend told you about the POP and then said..hey Mike, if I can get you the POP would you consider selling me the Pontiac sign cheap? Heck, maybe even consider giving it to me seeing I am such a good friend :)
But NOOOOOOO ..
He resorted to a tactic which was poor and needs to be set straight. If you choose to continue as friends, he must be told about your feelings about the shaft he was giving you. :( As far as the POP, contact the original owner as others have stated.

Kev

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
When he told you the guy no longer lives there and does not tell you where he lives, he is no longer your friend. When he doesn't up front offer you the guys contact info, he is no longer your friend. Feel free to show him this thread. Whoever is in posession of it knows it has value so it won't get thrown away. If you ever sell the car you can give the buyer the # of your ex-friend. That sucks.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am very thankful for all the responses you guy have given me. I just really hate to think he would take this as a chance to get one of my prized collectables, but after he said that he did not want to give up this guys name, and when I guessed it, he told me he moved. Well just about anybody can read through that B.S. and now I guess it will be different between us. I did the zabba thing as suggested, and got the number to the guy I bought the car from. I am now kinda even feeling guilty to call, for the fear I am doing a end run on my friend if he was being truthful about the 500.00 one time statement. But if that was true, why withhold the number or address? Yes it really looks like I have found a serious flaw in this friendship. I have in the past always done whatever I can for my friends, and in most cases my loyalty has been recipricated the same way. Greed can be a very sad thing I guess................

1 - 20 of 31 Posts