Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
68 camaro starts fine but when i drive for a few min. the srter hardly turns the engine over. Should I replace the starter. I got headers, I think the starter is cooked. ss 396

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yep, your starter is going... Replace the starter solenoid, with a relocation kits that moves the solenoid from the starter (solenoids hate heat) to the wheelwell..
Headers kill the solenoids.. Also try wraping your headers with some Header insulation (just around the starter area)

------------------
Black 67 Camaro

·
Registered
8 Posts
Heat soak. I fried many starters with my headers. Usually buy Napa starters, they burn out just before the warranty is off. After replacing a couple starters I tried a heat shield between the starter and header and have had no such problems anymore.

------------------

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. I replaced the starter with a high torq mini-starter three years ago and even with unwrapped headers, no heat shielding, have not had a problem since. People have asked on other threads who makes a good one. I do not know who made mine. Receipt says: 3HP Starter MFR-Part Number: MIS-9200-168 I am not sure if the others are burning up mini-starters or regular sized starters from NAPA, but could solve their problem too. Only draw back is its more expensive. Advancement always seems to comes at a cost!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the same problem on a 68 w/ 350 and headers. I installed a remote solenoid and it took care of the problem. Jegs sells a kit for about $25.

Roy

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had the same problem on my '68 Camaro. I installed a higher torque starter with a heat shield and I have had no more problems. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
260 Posts
There was a suggestion some time ago about rigging up a kill switch to the coil that allows the engine to turn over a few times without coil spark & hence compression - said to be good when hard starts due to heat

i plan to give it a try

1 - 7 of 7 Posts