Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 camaro Z28 and a big problem with my tailights! eveytime i turn them on i blow a fuse so i figured ok i'll replace the socket thinking maybe there was rust or something in it, Nothing, so i took my car apart and followed the wires running from my tail to the dash and didnt find a bare wire anywhere where it might be hot and grounding out, and i still found nothing, if anyone has any suggestions i would apprciate it thanx
Andrew

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and i also know that the lights do work i replaced them all and when i hit my brake lights they work as the same with my turn signals and 1 reverse light!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Is the fuse panel/ harness original or aftermarket?

Sounds like a dead short to me. Your tail lights/ backup lighs are probably on the same circuit with other lights or accessories (headlights, turn signals etc.).

There may be a short in the wires on one of the other accessories on the same circuit/ fuse.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by choptop (edited 06-27-2001).]

·
Registered
22 Posts
The easiest way I have found to locate shorts is to get a 12 volt circuit breaker from any parts store and wire it with connectors for what ever type of fuse box you have. The breaker will click back and forth instead of blowing fuses and you can take an inductive amp probe and run it along the wires in the circuit and when you get to the short the readings will get erratic. If you dont have an amp probe you can also just run your hands along the wires in that circuit and see where they get hot

Good luck, Danny

------------------
I didn't build it, I didn't break it so lighten up, I'm just trying to fix it

·
Registered
74 Posts
You will end up replacing your turn signal switch.
All GM cars seem to have the REAR lights and turn signals & 4 ways, with some type of problem, that is solved by replacing the turn signal switch.
To solve your chase, disconnect the turn signal from the steering column & start using a paper clip & jump the wires to make the lights work. IF they work without blowing a fuse, it's the switch.
Leave all wiring alone & start at that connection, trouble shooting.

Also try www.thirdgen.org, they got lost of answers for ya.
I know
I have a 1985 Firebird with a WS6 suspension & 1995 3.4 engine (that took out my tranny!).

------------------
KED67
1967 RS/SS 350 4-Speed Convertible
1968 6 Cyl & PG/Console for the Wife & Son

1 - 6 of 6 Posts