Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm actually getting close to "winter projects done" it time to think about this one...

I converted to thirdgen steering 2 or 3 years ago. All was well except for a very minor leak in one of the pressure hose fittings. Replaced the pressure hose last spring and was leak free and good to go for the (very high mileage) summer.

Last September, the power steering started "groaning" and I found the fluid low and refilled. The last time the car was out, in late October, I found the fluid VERY low, tho I still had power assist. Also found the pump, crossmember, etc. kinda oily.

Car's been parked since. Did not refill the pump yet.

I'm seeing that if I turn the wheel lock to lock, fluid is being expelled thru the vent hole in the cap. It's squirting hard enough to severely "moisten" the alternator belt, some 5" above the top of the pump, and leave a sizeable puddle on the floor.

I will replace the return hose and check all the fittings for tightness today.
The pump is original and has been trouble free. The only change I've noticed in the system is I used to have minimal power assist at idle, but last summer there was plenty.
Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
jim,
minimal assist at idle? your pump may be tired..keep that original pump and get a new one....your know as well as i do that that is in need of new seals and is ready to start giving you trouble....and this may fix your "burping" problem as well......

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm, now this is interesting. Guess I did top off the power steering fluid last year, it is to the second mark on the cap stick. Wouldn't that be the full hot line? Is so, it is overfilled. Started the engine for a while today, didn't turn the wheel though. It pushed a little fluid out the cap but not much.

Noticed a funny thing tho... If I look through the cap stick, I can see daylight, right upo thru the vent hole! Heck, I';d puke fluid too! Is this right? This is the orignal cap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts