Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my car's just sitting there, my driver's side rear wheel sits crooked. The top of the tire is "closer" to the top of the wheel well then it should be if you can tell what I'm trying to describe. It seems as if it "leans" with the top of the wheel more toward the car and the bottom of the wheel more outward.
Could the wheel bearings be the problem? What else could be causing this?
Thanks,
Donnie

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Might be a bent rim, sagging spring, bent axle, bent axle tube or a bad bearing. Could also be an optical illusion.

How is your tire wear on the affected wheel? Is there a pattern on the tread (more wear on one side than the other or "feathering")?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Choptop- No, the tire is wearing exactly as it should for some reason. It looks as if the spring is sagging by looking at the car but it just seems weird that all of the sudden the spring would just start sagging seeing as it never did it before. The axle tube isn't bent that I can see either. The only thing we could figure is that it's a bad bearing.
Thanks,
Donnie

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, another way that I can tell it's not the spring is the car sits level. It's just the wheel that sits a little crooked.
Donnie

·
Registered
72 Posts
Donnie, i think what you have is an optical illusion. Think about it in order for the wheel to be sitting crooked like that your axel would have to be crooked also.think about it the wheel mounts to what,the axel the only way the wheel can set with the top in towards the body and the bottom going outward away from the body is if what the wheel mounts to is bent and that would be the axel.The reason i think its an optical ill. is you would know if the axel was bent the minute you started rolling down the road.One way to check this is to take a straight edge and hold it beside the tire with the bottom of the straight edge on the road,hold a torpedo level againt the straight edge and level it up when straight edge is level tire should be touching at top and bottom give a little at top cause the bottom of your tire will be pooching due to gravity. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts