Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello fellow builders. I have recently joined the group. I picked up the 69 from my father in-law a few weeks ago. My wife has always wanted the car since I have known her. The car has been parked for the last 26 years. When we would ask my father in law to sell the car he would say that he would not sell it because he was going to do restore it. A few weeks ago he told us that he wanted to sell it so that we could restore it. I was able to pick it up for $1800. The car is pretty much complete minus the engine. He also gave us a 4 speed Muncie and a new cowl hood, it also has the 12 bolt rearend. As far as engine I am still working on trying to get a 427 that came out of a 1967 corvette with the the tri-power. I am hoping that he will break down and sell it to us. Here is a picture of the car when we picked it up a few weeks ago.

I meant to take a few more pictures before I started taking it apart but got a little excited to get started. Here a few more pictures of the car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I have since removed the sub frame. I am going to replace the sub frame with a new one. My father in-law said the car had been wrecked, previous to him owning it. The sub frame has been pulled and stretched to fix the issues. Although the issues with the frame only seem to be on the front part where the bumper attaches I am going to buy a new one. He said there was a vibration in the front end. I would like to eliminate the idea that it could be the frame.

Here is a picture of the damage to the frame.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to remove the interior yesterday. Most of the floor pan looks good minus the front passenger and driver side. I will purchase replacement pans to fix the issues.

Here is the rust on the passenger side.

You can see that there is some rust on the driver side. Although there is no hole I will replace it since now would be the time to do it.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Congratulations! It looks like it's in pretty solid condition for 45 years old. Is that the original paint or has it been previously worked on?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Welcome Robert, from the looks of your pictures you are right across 528 from me. Good luck with your build, it looks like you have a great car to start with & if I can help in any way just let me know.
Nick
:beers:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Welcome to board. I understand you bought it from your father in-law and it is your "wife's" 69 Camaro. LOL We all know it is your car and your secret is safe with us. LOL

1800... wow, great deal/steal. :yes:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome Robert, from the looks of your pictures you are right across 528 from me. Good luck with your build, it looks like you have a great car to start with & if I can help in any way just let me know.
Nick
:beers:
Nick its good to see that somebody is local. I live near Unser and Northern. The picture was taken near 528 by Ridgecrest near Allsups. I will keep you in mind if I run into any problems. Thanks

Welcome to board. I understand you bought it from your father in-law and it is your "wife's" 69 Camaro. LOL We all know it is your car and your secret is safe with us. LOL

1800... wow, great deal/steal. :yes:
LOL My wife said the same thing.

·
19,839 Posts
Welcome to TC :beers:

Great price (even being from a family member) and a good starting point. :yes:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have got a lot completed in the last week. I just about have the car stripped down to the shell. I still have to finish removing the windows among a few other things. I also will make a brace for the back of the car similar to what I did for the front.

Over all the car is structurly sound. The only rust so far is small sections on the floor panels and the trunk. I know there is more on the rear quarter panels over the wheels wells.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was actually surprised how simple the car is put together. After removing everything I started hoping I can remember how it all goes together. I guess I have to think of it one section at a time. Having the assembly books helps out. I am hoping by next week to decide what route I am taking in regards to removing the paint. Once the paint is removed I will then start on replacing panels that are rusted out. First I will do the floor pans, trunk and then the quarter panels.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
With the help of my neighbor and wife I was able to get the car completely stripped for media blasting. I was able to find a guy here in town that does restoring of different items from gas pumps, refridgerators, bikes and cars. He is going to pick up the car this Thursday to blast it. I am only doing the shell at this point and will do the other parts later on. I am wanting to get it blasted so that I can see what hidden damage is under the paint. I am pretty sure that there isn't going to be much that I don't know of already. The car seems to be really solid at this point. I have attached some photo's of the shell out side of the garage where there is more light. I was bracing up my front and rear body cart so that there are no issues when it's loaded on to the tow truck bed.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts